1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

potty training a 4 month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Riyasmommy, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi, I want to start potty training on our 4 month old. Right now I am taking her to the bathroom and turn the faucet on and make a ssss sound and she pees. I try to do it after naps, feeds and almost every hour. Is it helpful? What do you moms do? We also use cloth diapers on Riya and I am hoping that will help her train quickly.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I dont want to discourage you but I really dont think its possible to potty-train a 4 mnth old. Sure you can teach her to pee as a reflex action to sound/being placed on a potty but thats not a voluntary thing and unless you intend to spend a lot of your day and night in the bathroom its not going to work. The nervous system's control of the bowel/bladder only develop after 1 and a half to 2 yrs at the earliest and its best to wait until then to start training beacuse then it will be a learned conscious control and not a reflex. Waiting to hear from other mothers though...

Vanathi,

1 person likes this.
  3. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

i totally agree with adhusmoms, it is earlier to start at 4 months, even in india i guess they will strat only around one year. to get potty trained i think they should know to control the urge to go, i don't think babies cud that around 4 months. plus it wud be a lot strain for you too.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I agree with Vanathi on this,I think 4 mnths is too small an age to start potty training.I have noticed this with my second baby who is now 5 weeks old-At the age of 2 weeks itself,when I took him towards the sink/bathroom and asked him to pee making ssshh sounds,he was doing it.This I do now too just to relieve him of the pressure if I feel he is too full and needs to pee,but I don't think he can be potty trained now just because he is responding to me at this stage itself.

But with my first son,I was able to start potty training him around 10 months of age although the bowel movements part of the training took some time, and he was fully trained only by the age of 3 and yes,for him,we used only cloth diapers and I too feel it is easier to train with cloth diapers than with disposable ones.

1 person likes this.
  5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks, but I have heard about kids being trained to go on a "pot" by 6 months, who are those people??!!:confused2:

6. sss

sss New IL'ite

Hey Don't hurry. 4 month old is too young to potty train.

I think 1 1/2 to 2 yrs is ideal time for potty training.

1 person likes this.
  7. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Riya's mom,
    Everyone is right. I was so shocked when I read the title. Let me tell you frankly, my son got trained very recently and he is truning 3 only this June. If you force at this very early stage, you will get frustrated and irritated if you dont get the expected result. So dont hurry, wait till she is able to stand and walk.

1 person likes this.
  8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

:hiyaHi you all, you guys are right, this maybe too early to start potty training. I guess I should wait. Thanks!!

9. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

hey riyasmom,
    you are doing right. my daughter was potty trained when she was 7 mths. potty train means she never poped in bed or when she is in anyone's arms.
    if i was sleeping she make me awake to pop or pee. That time i was in India. she was wearing cotton washable diaper. she used to give some special facial expression to tell this.
    The time when we came here she was 8 mths and we stayed at our friends place and due to jet lag i put her in diaper and then it was very difficult for me to train her again.
    I just want to say your are doing a great job. keep doing that and she will be trained soon.
    In India this is the age to train the infants.
    bye

10. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

hi riasmommy,
    continue trainning ur kid.its no wonder with kids of 6 mths to b completly potty trained.my mother had completly potty trained my kid before 6 mths itself.at tht i was in india n its very normal to train kids by this time,never do i remember after tht my kid peeing or popping around.so theres nothing harm in u trying to potty train ur kid but b sure to reward ur kid with lots of smile,hugs n kisses everytime ur kids pees...
    raji