1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hair oil for infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Tagor, Jun 15, 2007.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: Baby Hair Oil

I was using J&J baby oil soona fter birth, but then i started using olive oil for head and body, but heard that it causes skin tan so shifted to coconut oil !

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

J&J does have a hair oil (atleast it does in India) - transparent bottle with a green cap.
    Johnson & Johnson India Never used it though. I use coconut oil very occassionally.

Vanathi.

3. rajisrinivasan

rajisrinivasan New IL'ite

J&J hair oil is there (content avacado ) try that! But as usual, the coconut oil does the magic,obviously, nature product haina...

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Subha,

I never used hair oil for aniish and now for ananya as well. When he was born (in India) my mom used to apply little bit castor oil before his head bath. But i stopped using any because i always thought castor oil, coconut oil is used in India keeping in mind the weather. Here the climatic conditions are very different. If you ask me i'd say hair oil is not at all necessary. Even myself used to apply coconut oil everyday while in Chennai and also in Singapore but i don't anymore... only before my shampoo bath.

Latha

5. Shilpak2303

Shilpak2303 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

"J & J" as well as "Himalya" have hair oil for babies.

But Coconut oil works best..especially if you warm it a lil before applying on head, an hour before bath. Oiling is good to keep the scalp from becoming dry and flaky.

Few drops Coconut oil on the head with a small bit of "karpur" can help baby sleep soundly at night .

Shilpa

6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi Latha,
    If you don't use oil won't the hair be dry ? I don't know with S its growing like a weed .But she has curly hair also.Even if 1 day I leave without applying oil next day morning it will be like a jada mudi. Maybe the weather in Germany is like that ?
    Thanks
    Mangai

7. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Mangaii,We do not use any oil .But I apply coconut oil before washing his hair and I wash his hair every other day.Its very soft but he has not got his first mottai that may have to do with it too.

8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi Priya,
    I also did that till she turned 1 and after that mottai she never had hair cut and its grown a lot.It has become more curly.I wash it 2 times a week .But I can't leave without applying oil once on a while.And also BayArea weather is like chennai so I don't know how to leave just like that.
    Maybe I need to wash frequently
    Thanks
    Mangai

9. sowmyaganesh

sowmyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Hi Mommies

I use til (sesame) oil for my 5 month old. I used coconut oil for the first month and then switched to til oil.

10. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi..

My baby is 3 months old and I massage his head almost every second day with baby oil and his body massage with Johnson n Johnson moisturiser. Even though my doctor is not very fond of Jonson n johnson products. He always prescribe Aveeno. But my baby is doing good with Johson so far. I don't use anything on his face. Wonder is it ok not using any moisturiser on the face? We don't use soap on his face either. Just wash it daily with luke warm water.

By the way...my son still has some craddle cap. I did not use any oil for two months on his head at that time he didn't have dandruff and suddenly he got thick craddle cap. Now I am using baby oil and every time I brush his hair, his hairs are falling. He is getting bald from the front. Which oil or shampoo is good for the craddle cap. Anyhow..with coconut oil I don't like using it, its too sticky.

Regards

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008