1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Training Nanny - before going to work

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Pisces12345, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Pisces12345

Pisces12345 Junior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

My DD is 9 months old, I need to go back to work next month. I have hired a nanny (refered by someone whom my dad knows for a really long time). I have 4 weeks time to judge the nanny, get my LO used her and also get her into a routine. Please help me out here, I have no clue where to begin.

PS: there will be someone to supervise the nanny 75% of the time. But still... I am too worried........

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nj
    Firstly decide what all you expect from her and show her how you do it and let her do it in front of you... As I feel any change in the routine will upset baby and baby will take long time to attach...

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I completely agree with VJ. The first step would be to write down all the expectations. Once that is decided, go about showing how you do each task and how you efficiently manage time. One word of caution though, you have to give some amount of freedom to the nanny, even though there is someone to supervise her. remember she is not a servant; she is a nanny.

Keep explaining to her how important cleanliness is and what you want her to do. I didnt get a nanny for my daughter but I was closely involved in helping my best friend get one.

I am assuming that she is a full time nanny.

1. Day starts at 7; expect her to be showered and ready to take over at 7.
    2. Thats the breakfast time; so tell her what your child likes/dislikes and how you make it. Its better to leave the difficult breakfast items for the weekend and make it simple but healthy.
    3. show her how to feed the baby and how much to feed the baby.
    4. Show her how to clean up after breakfast; including diaper changes and change of cloths.
    5. Show her how to play with the baby, cautiously explaining that she doesn't have to pick up the baby every time he cries. This way, you will not have a clingy baby.
    6. At 9 months, kids are still at 2 naps a day schedule. By 9:30, he will be ready for a nap. Show the nanny how much milk you give him, how to put him down for a nap.
    7. When he is sleeping is when she is expected to clean up breakfast bowls, wash milk bottles and get the veggies/meat ready for lunch. If the the baby is napping for more than 30 minutes, she is expected to prepare lunch as well. But in the mean time if the baby wakes up, she is expected to first attend to him. While he is playing is when she should finish making lunch.
    8. Make sure you include age appropriate activities. At that age, kids love going out for walks. Ask her to take him out in his stroller for a walk and show her where she can take him for a walk.
    9. After an hour or so, when they are home, she can either play with him or when he is playing, finish the lunch keep it ready. This is the time you show her what to feed him as snack.
    10. by 12 noon, lunch is expected to be served. Show her the texture and consistency with which you give your child.
    11. make sure you give her diaper change schedule.
    12. when she is putting him down for an afternoon nap, make sure you tell her to take care of the days laundry. She has to wash his cloths, his lunch dishes, wash bottles etc.
    13. by the time he wakes up, she is expected to make sure she has some snack to feed him.

I am guessing by dinner time you will be home.

Most importantly, make sure you give her basic first aid training, like washing wounds with alcohol swabs, applying baby band-aids etc.
    Make sure you leave emergency cash and all the emergency contacts with her.

Lastly, she is expected to tell you what they did through out the day, including how much he ate and how much he slept. So, buy her a journal and ask her to write it down.

Lastly, treat her with utmost respect and it will reflect on your child. Good luck! its the most hardest thing to do, leaving child behind and go to work. I am doing it, so I understand your internal struggle.

Make sure her shifts ends as soon as you come home. Your baby needs you more than he needs anyone else.

4. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Excellent-crisp,precise and super-informative,Rakhii! I wish I had a friend like you;)!

5. Pisces12345

Pisces12345 Junior IL'ite

Thank you soooooooooooooooo much Rakhii........ thats the best piece of information I ever got..... totally practical and sensible... I feel completely relieved....

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi racr
    You do have now dear none but Rakhii herself..:thumbsup all you aught to do is to send her friend request:cheers...

Rakhii
    Loved your responses the way you get involved in each posters problems and analyse and respond is simply marvellous.. Well done dear...