1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty training 7 month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by tuliplady, Dec 12, 2012.

1. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    DS is ~7 month old now. At my DS's daycare they have begun potty training him. They hold him to pee every 20 mins. And it is getting better everyday. However, what they do is, they just make him stand (he is now able to stand with support), at a particular place and he pees there. They haven't placed him on a potty seat. At home, I have bought a potty seat. But the moment I make him sit there, he screams and I have to get him off. Earlier, when he was 4 month old, I used to do this on a sink and he would still scream.

No matter what I try, he just does not go. In the mornings, when he wants to go potty, he bends on his 4's and grunts, so DH immediately gets his diaper off and makes him sit on the chair, and he does his job.

Wondering what I am doing wrong. They tell me that even in daycare, he only goes when a certain helper makes him stand, otherwise he does not.

My question is:
    1. If they make him stand and pee, will he not do it on his potty chair?
    2. I am not sure how to simulate that at home, since I cannot afford him to pee and spray all over the house.
    3. How to manage at nights? is it ok to put the baby in diaper at nights?>

2. svh14

svh14 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Its absolutely ok if sleeps in a diaper at night.
    Just dont force him to do anything he doesnt like.

3. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Isn't 7 months young to start potty training? I have no idea...am just curious.

4. padmapriya1

padmapriya1 Gold IL'ite

He is tooo tooo little to get what you teach.. give him some more time ..
    It will take atleast 12- 15 months to understand that he should not dirty his home.

Pls give him some time.
    for nights you can very well go with diapers. my son is 18 months old and i stilll use diapers at night.

5. smishai

smishai New IL'ite

me also with 7 month old baby n wants to potty train.... hmmm it is so early i think

6. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

yes I agree with few here. he is just tooo young for potty training. what I used to do with my DS is take him to pee in the washroom every few hours...but his day care people have bigger share in training him...but that was only after he was 1.5 yrs. So dont stress much on this issue.

7. Ishhh

Ishhh New IL'ite

7 months is very young to start potty training. You can use diapers at night. I also put my DS ( 20 months) on diaper at night. During day time I take him to washroom to pee every few hours. Start potty training after 3 or 4 months.

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    I suggest you observe what makes him do his job when your Dh takes him does your Dh talk with him or any special mannerism??? I am sure you will solve this in a few days good luck...

9. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Bladder & bowel control happens around 18-20 months...for 7 mons old, it is slightly early...during day time if he is fine with pooping in particular place/with particular person, let him, else no force......night let him sleep in diapers..JMO...

10. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Thats what I figured, that I will wait to train him. But I do not want the daycare folks to stop.,since it is working out so well. He has very few wet clothe diapers during the day now and most of the times, stands and pees at the daycare. At home, we can now identify when he wants to poop, and DH immediately puts him on his chair, and he completes the job. Today I observed that DH played with him and distracted him when he started crying on his chair..and in the end he started gurgling and singing while poopping:) For peeing, I am going to wait. Dont want to make him cry for things like this. If he goes its fine, if not even that is fine. I know that we have to wait to train completely, but people in my family have trained children by the time they turned 1. So wanted to see if it worked for us.