1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Whining/Grunting 6 month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vmtaurus, Oct 31, 2012.

1. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

<section class="message hide-if-52882990-is-ignored" id="postText17081531"> My 6 month old DS has been grunting and whining a lot throughout the day for the past week. Is this a developmental thing? His sleep is also very disrupted...he anyway would not STTN, but make up during the day. He still sleeps during the day, but is absolutely crazy in the night..whining, grunting and generally very restless. He gets bored of things very easily...and of late absolutely nothing is holding his interest for long. I'm exhausted, trying to cope, as I also work during the day.
    Please tell me it gets better!
    </section>

2. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

My DS 5.5 month old does the same. Grumbles and chatters away but I read that it is important for speech development. So I would not worry about it. I find it hilarious and cute!!
    Sleep disruption is there too, since he rolls over effectively and now has started crawling too. So I guess thats normal since there's so much going on in their lives and until they master a particular skill they will keep practising it.
    Again even my son would not STTN. We are still up twice a night to feed. Again, its the Bangalore effect, It has got so cold that my son wnts to snuggle with me all the time:)
    For entertaining, try this: Fill a plastic water bottle (preferably colored) partially with water. And roll it in front of your child. My son can spend all day just running behind this water bottle since the moment he goes close to it, the bottle rolls away..
    Try putting a baby mirror in front of him. They love looking at the baby in the mirror.
    Use lot of rattles and some plastic spoons and bowls.
    Keep rotating your toys..
    Hope some of this help..My son was very bad at self playing until 4 month old. But now pretty much plays alone and keeps himself entertained.

3. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Tulip..the water bottle sounds like a good idea..he already loves to stare at a bottle I drink water out of. He has an activity gym with hanging toys and teethers, a colorfull playmat with a mirror, rocker, rattles, ball and a musical puppy, but still gets bored within seconds. Guess I will have to come up with something new.!
    Yes, it is cold, especially since morning what with the rain! Dull and dreary.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You might also want to check his pooping pattern if he is grunting. With the introduction of solids, his pooping pattern would change making him restless till that settles down.

5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    What is STTN?

6. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Sleeping through the night:)

7. Flyhighbluesky

Flyhighbluesky Silver IL'ite

Any chances he's teething already?

8. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Ramya - I have not yet started solids. His tongue thrust relfex seems to have gone a bit only now. Anyway, have an appointment. with the paed this weekend to discuss the same. I realized he grunts and whines when he sees something and is unable to reach it. He is trying to crawl..and of what research I did, it also looks like he is going through wonder week 26...and it lasts usually 1-5 weeks. Phew! He has been pretty much on target for all the wonder weeks so far.
    Flyhighbluesky - Not teething, but yes I see his gums are hardening and that irritates him. I usually massage them and use homeopathy to help relieve the irritation

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear ladies
    Your posts are read by many readers if you use not so commonly used abbreviation it will not be understood by them so keeping this in mind I request you to desist from using abbreviations in your posts unless it is common one like Dh Dw DD LO...

thank you