1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is happening to my daughter?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Rakhii, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

For those of you who are not familiar, my dd is 9 months old. Since about 6 weeks she has been sick on and off. About 3 weeks ago she was diognized with urinary tract infection. She was given antibiotics to control fever and flu-like symptoms. After the course, she was fine for just 2 days. She is sick again. She has severe cold and cough.

We took her back to the doctors and they are saying that there is nothing wrong with her. Well then why is she coughing soooo much and why does she have a cold? She does not have fever yet. After almost every meal she is vomiting.

What is happening to her? DH and I are pretty much holding her upright in a chair most of the night; that's the only way she is able to sleep. No, keeping her elevated is not working this time.

I am going nuts! With about 4 weeks to go for our India trip, she is feeling so unwell. I want her to be better. I don't think I will want to travel I am sure is still sick. Not a day has gone by in 6 weeks that I haven't cried. I am exhausted. I feel so sorry for my baby. What is happening?

As of now she is on antibiotics again.
    What can I do? As of now, she is lying down on me. Cough and cold. Persistent!

2. Sravani1989

Sravani1989 New IL'ite

I dont know about infection, but cold is common in kids. My niece had cold with caugh 6 times before her 1 birthday. You give warm milk and put vicks. I feel sad for you and baby. I wish she get well soon.

3. gypsy2

gypsy2 Bronze IL'ite

Hi, don't worry shell be ok soon.is she having blocked nose.may be that is the reason she is not able to sleep well.for blocked nose and congestion We apply camphor mixed in warm coconut oil.u can apply this on babysitter chest back nose and feet and palms.it will help her sleep better.takecare and keep her hydrated. She will be fine soon

3 people like this.
  4. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

is she crying incessantly? could be an ear infection because of the cough and cold.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012
  5. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Rakhi..Hugs to you.. Not sure about the UTI but incessant cold and cough can also be due to some allergy, it can be pollen,dust or anything or as simple as weather change. Even my DS had it and had cold and cough during the winter season;the cold and cough medications did not work. Doc gave him anti-allergens and it sure helped. If she has too much cough and cold and unable to sleep, try steam if it doesnt work go for nebulisation.

Dont worry.. She will be alright soon.

6. Haya

Haya Gold IL'ite

Rakhii ,
    Dont panic dear
    it happens with kids of that age
    hope she is now ok with urinary infection
    such infections will be associated with high fever usually
    is she taking medicines for cold and cough now
    also, you can do home treatments for cold and cough
    that may releive her from the difficulties

if possible give her steam inhalation
    my DS used to have cold often in that age
    dr advised me to put the steamer down the bed and adjust such that the steam will come to the baby
    do this when she sleeps, make sure you keep it a bit away so that the steam is not strong
    but slight inhalation will give her releif
    also you can dip a cloth in a bit hot water and press her nose slightly, that will also ease in nose block
    nasal drops also helps

milk related foods will increase chest congestion and cough
    so dilute the milk if giving, also give her warm foods
    she will be alright soon, dont worry

haya

1 person likes this.
  7. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Hi Rakhii,

Apply warm coconut/gingely oil with camphor.Rub throughly so that oil sinks in to her skin.then apply lil oil to your palms and make them warm using cooking stove or can be done with heated coal as well.then keep your warm hands on your dd's chest,back,forehead and nose.repeat thrice a day.it surely works.This method is tested on my DD and proved successful.

Your DD will be alright soon,Please dont worry.Keep your cool,its just a passing cloud. Take care.

1 person likes this.
  8. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rakhii,

Sorry to know that your DD is not well. I faced a similar kind of situation when my DD was 8 months old. She has got fever and we took her to the state owned paediatric centre. Initially they gave her antibiotics but her fever didn't subside even after a week. She was struggling with cough and cold too. We took her back to the doctors and then they took all the tests and finally said nothing was wrong with her. DD was going worse day by day and finally we decided to take her to the nearby private clinic. The doctor there prescribed a different set of medicines. It worked out for her and she got better. This happened to her due to a season change. Is there a climatic change there?

One thing you can do is consult some other paediatrician, for a second opinion. And as you say, she is already on antibiotics, may be you can try a few home remedies. The one which I always do whenever my daughter gets cold & cough is:
    Heat two spoons of coconut oil and add a spoon of oregano seed & a pinch of edible camphor (The one used in the preparation of sweets) to it. This will give a Vicks like odour. Allow it to cool a little and apply it to her chest, neck and nose. You can apply this twice or thrice a day, particularly in the nights.

Don't worry dear. She will be alright soon and you will make it to your trip.

1 person likes this.
  9. mlsruthi

mlsruthi Silver IL'ite

Hi Camphor and Coconut Oil is very good remedy for Infants and i have tried the same for my DD when she has cough and cold. My prayers for your DD to get well soon...

10. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

My son was in bad cold and cough..I give him
    10 basil leaves+1 small ginger piece + 1 pinch cinnamon power+5cloves+5black paper..I boil all thing in 1cup water..when 1/4 is left put water in a bowl add same quantity of honey... Mix it..
    Give it to baby 4-5 times in a day..I usually mix it with cerlac because taste is no so good..
    Always work for my baby.....
    ..very good remedy for cold and cough....
    1.Try to give small portion of food.
    2..increase intake of liquid orange juice, apple juice...
    3. Use pillow for baby in night time..very helpful...for cold..
    4.please don't use Vicks before 1yr...
    5. My doc advise NASOCLEAR drops(for blocked nose)for my son ...just 1drop in each nose..before feeding..very effective...
    6. Consult with some other doctor..may be he is not able to catch right thing...
    Good luck for your baby..