1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New born baby queries by new mom

Discussion in 'Infants' started by arsavi, Aug 3, 2012.

1. arsavi

arsavi New IL'ite

I delivered a baby boy on july 11th...He is now 24 days old...he drinks breastmilk only for 4 or 5 mins after which he nods off..he does this even when awake..he gets hungry and drinks again after 30 mins..Is it normal???I have heard that milk should be fed every two hours...Also he rubs his face, pulls his legs up and stretches them out too as well as his hands and makes groaning noises in his sleep mostly, is this also normal???Anyone had such expereince..please do reply for my both queries....Iam in great tension..:help

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

arsavi :) Relax!!! All that he's doing is very normal. It is recommended that for the first few months, demand feeding is the best for the baby unless they are losing weight. So as long as he is peeing/ pooping normally and seems content with what he feeds, please do not worry. Demand feeding is also good for your milk supply!

As for stretching, the little guy seems quite like the yoga master :) It would be so cute to watch him do that. Don't worry, that is completely normal too. Congratulations and enjoy motherhood!

3 people like this.
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@arsavi Check if he is getting full after 5 minutes of sucking. Even my DD used to do the same. But she used to be full.

How long has he been drinking milk every 30 minutes? If he has been doing it only for the past few days then it could be a growth spurt.

Stretching part is common. Give him a bath in hot/warm water. This will help him. Also gently give him a massage daily.

Everything seems normal. So no need to worry much.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Arsavi, everything you said is normal. Has she been doing this since day 1?
    Mine did this for 2 weeks after which my lactation consultant came to visit me. She said that usually its better to give 1.5 hour gap between feeds to give baby's tummy a chance to digest everything. So, as my dd was nodding off at breast, she gently opened Dd's cloths and exposed her tummy. The cool air thus woke her up and she fed for additional 5 mins. If she is not waking up while slowly undressing, she asked me to gently tickle/play with her feet. That used to keep her awake longer.

Sometimes nothing used to work and I used to let her sleep. But it's not really comfy either for baby or for mommy to keep feeding every 30 mins.

Forgot to add, the noises are quite normal. I think with my dauguter it lasted for 4 months.

5. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

My daughter used to stay on one side for 45 min, 45 min on the other, nod off for 30 min, wake up, repeat. For about a month. Hope that makes you feel better! Do try to keep him awake longer to take a longer feed as one of the PPs suggested. Don't stress out too much otherwise. If you are able to, keep at it. It'll get better.

1 person likes this.
  6. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Arsavi,

Relax dear....:)..everything is quite normal for a new born...........:)

As for dozing off during feeds, Let me share a technique ......:)

When the baby nods off during feed, gently caress the side of the face/top part of jaw bone just next to the ear by your middle finger.....that would awaken the infant to continue the feed.......It works.......:thumbsup

Good luck dear.......:thumbsup

Enjoy your motherhood......:)

3 people like this.
  7. arsavi

arsavi New IL'ite

Yesterday after 1pm to 11pm my 26 days old son dint sleep properly..he just slept for 1 and half hours in between..is it normal for babies to do not to sleep for such long hours??plz do reply?

8. arsavi

arsavi New IL'ite

New mom query

Yesterday after 1pm to 11pm my 26 days old son dint sleep properly..he just slept for 1 and half hours in between..is it normal for babies to do not to sleep for such long hours??plz do reply?

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Re: New mom query

No. was he crying? Maybe just on off day. How was he today?

10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: New mom query

@arsavi Everyday is different. There would be variations in routine. If this continues regularly then it is a problem. If not then nothing to worry about.