1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby cries before & after passing urine

Discussion in 'Infants' started by NAshwini, Jul 5, 2012.

1. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

My son never cried before or after passing urine even though he stayed in diapers from the time he was born. Check the size of the diaper...he will be growing fast...maybe the diapers you are currently using have become small or maybe you did not tie them correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  2. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

Dear,

Please don't take this lightly and get his urine analyzed as soon as possible. My son had the same problem when he was about a month. Would cry uncontrollably before and after pee. I was told time and again that an infection would come with fever ( by MIL) and by doc that if he was sick first thing he would do is stop eating. Guess what? He had a sever bout of infection with no fever and he was eating 4 times of what he usually would. That was only comfort he could get by nursing with me. He had urinary infection and was traced down to find that he has bilateral VUR. In this case, urine backups into kidney and can cause infection in kidneys, damaging an infant's, especially boy's paper thin kidneys. This is very concerning and irreversible damage. You need kidneys to live.

On my adamant approach, my doc did the tests/cultures and told me she thinks everything's ok but she can send them to be analyzed further if I want. On further analysis, it turned out he had serious infection and fortunately, there was no scarring to his kidneys. He has been put on antibiotics until he either grows out of it or gets surgery.

If you feel something is wrong, get all tests done. Its painful seeing an infant going through repeated catherizations but you will do him a big favor. My son who we thought cried so much is such a happy baby and rarely cries now. I felt so guilty for waiting two weeks even after I realized something was wrong due to others pressure. Later my doc called me and told me she was so suprised and is a big fan of me for being an alert mother who caught his condition in time.

I was also told by one of my friends that her daughter had acute pneumonia with no fever and had to be immediately hospitalized. With an infant nothing should be taken lightly.

Hope your son does better. I pray for you.

Remember all docs say, its ok for a baby to cry for poop but not for urine. It takes than max 1 month to get used to felling of pee.

3. NAshwini

NAshwini Gold IL'ite

Hello Beanstalk,
    Appreciate your response but i am really sorry for this late reply, as my Lo is keeping me busy & iam getting hard time to check my mails.
    I have done his complete urine test & reports goes normal.He is now in his starting of 3rd month.Initially i used diapers for him.later on after all the replies realised & switched to Langoties & started cleaning his private parts everytime with warm water when he urinates.He was doing good when i followed this procedure.But one day i have observed some black color flying kind of insect which is very very minute in size has started to come on his bed.may be because ,sometimes he urinates on bed as i am using langoties.There is maximum chance of urine falling on bed.I was so afraid ..as this creatures might go into his nose or ears.
    The very next day ..i stopped langoties and switched back to Diapers..cleaning with warm water .I have noticed the disappearance of this insects.Later on i realised these insects came due to the smell of the urine.
    Now the problem is my LO when taking feeding...he cries very hard & passes the urine.& he is very quite once he urinates...and continues his feeding in a normal way.This happens only once in a day not everytime.

What should i do now.has this happend to anyone with your babies.Do i need to be more paranoid or is this a normal cry of the baby

Ash

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  4. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

If you are using langotis, please use the quicky dry sheet on the bed, and place LO on that and then change. If he sprays, then only the quick dry sheet gets wet and absorbs the urine. I am strictly against allowing the mattress/bedsheet from getting wet in urine. In case that happens, please change the bedsheets pronto.
    Coming back to your question, are you going to the Paed? would going to a urologist be an option? I dont have any solution but just giving you a perspective. Perhaps, internally he would need to get his organ checked for any blockage.
    Other thing is, does he pee everytime he feeds? next time, you could try holding him near the sink so that he can pee in his natural position..to see if he only cries when peeing while lying down. I hope things get better for your LO and you!!

5. NAshwini

NAshwini Gold IL'ite

Hi Tuliplady,
    I use quick dry sheets when he is on Longoties.Even i change the bed sheets when he pee on bed.But unfortunately i can see those miniature insects.
    Urination while feeding happens hardly 2-3 times per day ....usually he will not cry everytime when he feeds ..but he cries only once not everytime.Apart from that he urinates 10-12 times/day.But never seen him crying more than 1 time.And i have consulted Paed too..he said since its not happening everytime its normal.he also added that some babies usually cry while passing urine.
    By the way how is ur Lo doing?

6. sowmya4

sowmya4 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ashwini,

first & foremost congrats.

Coming to your little one's problem,get him examined thoroughly.
    for all you know your son's hole to pass urine might be smaller, my nephew had a similar problem
    & the doctors will rectify it.

It's a small surgery they do, nothing to worry but don't neglect it.

take care,
    Sowmya

1 person likes this.
  7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks for the likes kalpanareddy :)

8. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Hi my son has the same problem he is 4 months old and he cries a lot before peeing we did a culture n it was positive for urinary infection and doc did tell me that his foreskin is little thick n the urine hole is small so he told me tat if there is repeated urinary infection , circumcision is the only remedy but m scared of it.. I want some inputs regarding circumcision procedure

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Catgol, dont worry, he will get better. circumcision is a small procedure done under local Anesthesia in some cases and total anesthesia in some cases. Either way, he will not feel the pain. It is performed by a well qualified doctor; so dont worry. He will be fine.

1 person likes this.
  10. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Thanks rakhii for your valuable comment .. This is the first time tat he is diagnosed with uti so m really not sure whether I should opt for it