1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby cries before & after passing urine

Discussion in 'Infants' started by NAshwini, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ashwini,
    Congrats on new arrival.
    My son also cried when he passes urine. Diaper irritates the baby esp baby boy. Now My son cries if i put him on diaper while going out. My paed advised not to use diaper much as it leads to urinary infections. Whenever I go and tell this kind problem, first he insist me that not to use diaper. As others suggested use cloth diaper. After he passes urine clean the area with soft cloth dipped in warm water and put powder. I did this for my son.

2 people like this.
  2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@nashwini I have used diapers continuously. Have you touched the inside of the diaper after 2-3 minutes of LO passing urine. It is absolutely dry. You can keep a paper and see. I used Pampers Swaddlers with wetness indicator.

Your LO seems to be happy when being left free (no diapers, no langotis). But that may not be feasible. Just give him some free time.

For the first 2 months, I used to change about 12-14 diapers a day. This settled down after the first 2 months. So your LO is also following similar pattern.

The diapers in India are different from the ones in US. I have used both. LO was feeling very uncomfortable with the Indian diapers and wanted it to be changed immediately.

2 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ashwin, congrats. I have used diapers since the day she was born. I think he is feeling inconvenient with the brand of diapers. I use huggies with wetness indicator. I am assuming you are wiping him with wet wipes (i use huggies wet wipes) every time you change him. If you are not already doing so, get the penaten non-medicated diaper protection cream. After you wipe him with wet wipe, apply the cream generously on him diaper area (including penis, dont pull back the foreskin though, if he is not circumcised) and then put the diaper on. It's supposed to keep the wetness away from skin and prevent the rashes. If he is crying due to wetness, this might help.
    Also, if he has gone too much poo, make sure his genitals are properly washed/wipe with no lingering poo residue. I am sure you are doing this, just double check anyway.

Like I said, change the brand of diapers and see and make sure to use wet wipes and penaten; if you are not already doing it. I think for the first 4 weeks I was changing diaper after every feed because she was going poo.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

OP, I dont think diapers have anything to do with why your baby is crying.
    My DD also used to cry for first 2 months when she was about to pass urine. She is constantly in diapers, and that hasnt affected her body. I just make sure to keep changing her diapers once every 3 hours (so that is 8 diapers per day.. 15 is a little on the high side :) ).
    Now at 4 months, i dont change diaper during the night time (from 7 PM - 7 AM) as she sleeps through nicely except to feed somtimes in between.

Its just a phase and will pass soon.

5. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ashwini,

Congrats on your baby boy.

Please check the urine flow and color- If it is normal ( free flowing without dripping/ not yellowish ) nothing to worry dear.

make sure that baby takes sufficient feeds.

As for as cloth diapers, can go for soft- jalla ( gauze type) fabric- it is soft to the skin.

Happy motherhood.:thumbsup

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    2 people like this.
  6. vidhee

vidhee Bronze IL'ite

Hi ashwini,

The usage of more diapers at this stage is very common .. Make sure you have castor oil at home.. Every morning just wet your fingers in the oil and apply it on your baby's centre portion of the head gently.. Do it every day..in the morning when uour baby wakes up.. And if he cry's unusually during urinating immediately apply castrol oil in his belly button and massage it gently and apply little on his penis too.. This will give a lot of comfort to your little one and they stop crying.. My son ashwin when he was like a month old had this problem for "n" number of times and this procedure really worked..
    My hugs to your little bundle of joy

Regards
    Vidhya

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
    2 people like this.
  7. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

OP your baby might have some problem with his foreskin............please check the foreskin of your LO's private part.........my son had the same problem when he was 10 month old and doctor adviced us to go for circumcision.........and we did the same for my son when he was 11 months old........please don't neglect it..........

3 people like this.
  8. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Do not worry, this is very common. My DS makes grunting noise and rolls his eyes each time he has to go potty. I use cloth diapers during the day and diapers at night/before a long nap, because just like yours, even he cannot stand wet diapers. I dont think this has to be because of usage of diapers, but my paed told me that their systems and controls are still developing and will resolve on its own.

9. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Ashwini,

As pinki said just check you baby foreskin..my son also faced the same problem when he was 6 months old..Please clean your baby's private part with warm water atleast twice in a day..Don't apply powder in private part.While bathing him just move his foreskin and wash the private part thoroughly with water ..if he urinate in drops, or he cries while urinating or it is in dark yellow colour check with doctor..All this are very common in babies so don't stress yourself..Enjoy your motherwood

2 people like this.
  10. NAshwini

NAshwini Gold IL'ite

Hello all,
    Thank you each & everyone for your valuable advice.I have checked his urine several times ...its a pale yellow color which clearly indicates there is no infection.Even i have done the complete urine examination & reports were normal.
    I have changed to langoties instead of diapers.I have observed him from the last day,he has not cried like previous.Looks like its working for him & slowly he is getting used to it also.In the night hours iam shifting him to diapers..Even i am cleaning his private part with cotton cloth dipped in warm water whenever he urinates which i used to do anyway .I have checked his private part also..me and my mom did not find any problem with his foreskin..but definitely cross check with the doctor on my next visit.

Your all information were really useful for me.thanks a lot once again

Ash

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012