1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed regarding Pedichloryl syrup

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Cutiesri, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Is the medicine Pedichloryl is safe for 5 weeks baby?
    My lo was crying continuously during night times and I consulted my pediatrician.he told that it is colic pain and it is due to gastric problem.so he suggested to give Pedichloryl.is it sedative syrup?after give her she went to sleep immediately.is there any side effects in that syrup.? Is there any home remedy for this? as a new mom I have loads and loads of question and confusion:bonkPlease help me friends.
    Thanks in advance..

2. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Uma,

Sorry, have not tried this syrup. Amongst the popular ones recommended by paeds is ColicAid for colic pain. I tried it initially but later switched to Gripe Water which gives instant relief for minor colic and has no side effects. Maybe others on the forum might have used it.

love,
    kylie

3. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Kylie,
    Thanks for your reply..
    My child starts crying daily at night time from particular time and she stops crying when I put her on my shoulders.
    By the way what is colic pain and what is symptom of it?

4. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Uma dear,

Hugs to you..! I know how heart breaking is to handle colic babies as I too faced the same situation some two year back when my son was just few weeks old..He used to cry for 4 to 5 long hours with out stopping , get tired and fall sleep..Initially I was like almost mad used to cry a lot.But its of no use first a mother we should not get tensed as baby can easily sense our tension which makes them to feel even worse..

Stop taking gassy food like potato , chana etc..if you are bf
    Hold you baby in upright position after every feed
    Take burp after every feed
    Don't put your baby sleep immediately after feeding
    Don't over feed your baby
    Try vasambu ( vacha in sanskrit, Sweet flag, Calamus in english)..Scratch vasambu in agalvilakku (earthen lamp) with water or BM and apply it around baby navel area
    Try castor oil around baby navel area
    Try himalayas bonnison or Woodwards gripe only few drops with doctor's advice
    Apply some castor oil on betel leaf warm it and place it on baby stomach(DONT HEAT IT JUST WARM ..MILDLY WARM test its warmth before placing)

My doctor gave phenegran which is again a sedative medicine, I have tried this for just 2 days..My son will sleep immediately after giving this..But I stopped using it as I don't want to use any medicines ..But again it depends on baby's intensity of crying..My baby stopped crying all of sudden around 14 weeks..

So your dd will be alright don't worry colic babies are otherwise healthy babies..If you feel very down while your baby cry just give your baby to your mom go to another room relax make yourself easy.then come and handle her..rock her with rhythm..sing some soothing song..massage her stomach..kiss her forehead and stomach..hold her close to your chest..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

The definition doctors use is: a baby crying for more than three hours a day, for more than three days a week, for at least three weeks. Colic is common and distressing. It usually goes away by the age of 3-4 months.

Symptoms

cries vigorously for long periods, despite efforts to console
    symptoms occur around the same time each day or night, often after meal times, and usually ending as abruptly as they began
    shows signs of gas discomfort and abdominal bloating
    has a hard, distended stomach, with knees pulled to the chest, clenched fists, flailing arms and legs, and an arched back
    experiences frequent sleeplessness, irritability and fussiness

6. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Uma,

Vasuma has given very good suggestions. Most important is mother's diet and to burp the baby after each feed. I used to take ajwain water quite frequently when i was breast feeding. And I also put asafoetida or hing paste around the baby's navel area sometimes. My kid had the problem for only a couple of days and after that I started giving Woodwards gripe water on a regular basis. Its best not to give sedatives on a long term basis.

Please dont worry - most kids suffer from colic initially and grow out of it subsequently.

Take care dear,
    Kylie

7. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Dear vasuma,
    Thanks for a brief reply.my doc told no to gripe water as it contain alcohol it seems.so he gave Pedichloryl and after I give this she went to sleep immediately.so I don't want to use this syrup often.i will sure try your home made remedies.another question is how many days it will take to cure ? Is anything wrong with my baby health?

8. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Kylie,
    I am very strict in my diet and also I m taking Ajwain water.i will also try hing paste around baby's navel.

9. latharam09

latharam09 Platinum IL'ite

Uma,

Pedichloryl is definitely a sedative. When my daughter was an infant, (now she is 14), she used to cry , as you say, at nights continuously for hours. Really I too cried along with her sometimes, by not knowing what to do. At that time, our Ped prescribed pedichloryl and after consuming, she immediately slept. I too confused whether it is good or not. But somehow after completion of her one year, she stopped crying and started to sleep by 12. Then she was normal.

10. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Latharam,
    Yestrday I gave her the tonic and still she could not wake up.i m totally depressed:-(