1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Home remedy for cold in infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Cutiesri, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Not for a 3 week old baby, no. Their body is not ready to digest anything other than BF (That's what my PED told me when I asked her the same question)

As Vidya said, Keep BF'ing her every few hours. That's all you can do.

Nasal drops is to melt the phlegm and thus help them to breathe, don't use it often, just during their sleep time as they are lying down and its hard for them to breathe. The downside is too much drops dries their delicate skin as well.

2. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

For 3 months baby camphor in coconut oil is the best remedy.

You can give water. Boil it well, cool it, feed with spoon lukewarm. You don't take anything cold. Feed the baby. The baby may find it difficult to suck and swallow if nose is blocked. But feed after applying the oil. At least for that feeding moment baby's nose will be clear. Hold the baby with its head elevated.

Ramya's boiled rice also could be done.

Regards
    Manjukps

3. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Nandashyam and Manju thanks for dropping in..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
  4. vidhyabharath

vidhyabharath Silver IL'ite

HI Uma/Vidya!

Instead of giving medicines to babies. You can take chitharathai kashayam, tulasi kashayam, prasava legiyam like that, When my Lo suffered from these problems, my mom and grandmom did this for me, it worked like a charm, also you can give bath for the babies in the hot water with tulasi and neem leaves (boil the water with the leaves) and put sambrani. I saw that the large amount of cold came from her nose when we given her the bath. After that the progress was really good.

Also give saline nasal drops for the babies before breast feed and sleep. It will help babies to sleep and to take feed without nose block. Dont take any cool items like curd, buttermilk or juices. Dont put AC in the room where the baby sleeps. Dont keep the baby directly to the fan.

It is not advisable to apply camphor oil or vicks to the babies till one year.

3 people like this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Uma, saline drops are safe. Make sure she is awake when you use the droppler.
    Get a humidifier, this helped my LO slightly. Not sure if you agree with this; when my LO had cold (md) at 5 weeks, I applied a very little baby Vicks on toilet paper and let her breathe that a little for a few mins. That sure helped. You should not apply Vicks for babies this young. Just show the vapors.
    My mil also told me about coconut oil and camphor but I didn't try it so far.

Yes, baby Vicks is perfectly safe to be applied directly on skin after 3 months. I contacted the manufacturer just to be sure and they confirmed it.

6. mrisha

mrisha New IL'ite

not now (3 weeks)After 3 months will start to give. now you only take more water it will goes to your baby through your breast feeding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
  7. mrisha

mrisha New IL'ite

3 months old baby boy having motion problem , 2 to 3 days he didnt go even i gave dry grapes water , hot water with gripe water, milk of magnesia drops(ped suggest),but no use. please reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
  8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@mrisha you are getting too much worried. Babies can go upto 12 days without pooping before being prescribed medication. But we can of course try home remedies.

Try keeping the kaambu* of betel leaf dipped in castor oil near the anal openng.
    Omam water also helps.

*Kaambu is betel leaf stalk (the stalk that is attached to the betel leaf)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  9. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

@uma

In coconut oil put some camphor and heat it. Apply on babys nose. forehead under arms, chest and feet. I tried and it helped . This is best.or try Kumkuma pathu on baby's forehead.

10. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

very Information ramya..Thanks