1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all mothers with babies below 1 year....

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Aadhusmom, Nov 29, 2007.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Raj

If you can lay your hands on betel leaves,then try this:

Heat coconut oil(about a tbsp).Add a pinch of camphor to this.Apply this warm oil on a betel leaf and massage the baby's chest and back with this leaf.I have tried this with Tarun and it has always worked.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

If she starts coughing a lot / temp above 101 deg F / wheezing / breathing too fast (more than 60 breaths per minute) / unable to feed and wet diapers are fewer than 4/day then definitely see her doc immediately. If this cold lasts more than a week might be better to see the doc too.

V.

3. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

hi ladies,

thanks i'll go to lifestyle n get a play pen.........i tried dal n rice with adarsh he liked it........im excited......

my wishes to all the little ones

dheepa

4. banusree

banusree New IL'ite

dear frnds,

hope all of you and your little ones are fine...me went to consult a ped today.she says Pratyush is underweight for a 10 month old babyth weight was 2.9..she has
    prescribed an appetizer.. namely CYPON..

Vanathi i would like to kno how appetizers work? why does he sleep for so long after taking it? is there any side effects?could you please clarify my doubts?

regards,

banusree

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks, Vanathi. I'll keep those things in mind. She seems to be the same as she was yesterday. How are you feeling?

Raj

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Banu - Cypon is cyproheptadine - an antihistamine. Most of these group of drugs will cause sleepiness (they are commonly used in cold/cough medicines). There isnt clear evidence for the appetite stimulating action of this drug and many peds have stopped using it for this purpose. Also his weight is 2.9 kgs??? Did you mean 9.2 by any chance? As far as I remember 2.9 was his birth wt? What is his current weight? In the meantime dont panic - he will be alright.

Vanathi.

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Raj - I'm much better thanks. No fever today and Aadhu is ok which is the main thing. How is your cold?

V.

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

My cold is still there, not any better though. Right now it's just a head cold, and as long as it doesn't turn into a chest cold, I am not complaining. Thankfully I can take naps without having to worry about Riya since it's weekend and DH is around.

I am glad you are doing well.

Raj

9. banusree

banusree New IL'ite

vanathi,

i m really sorry..that was a typo error.. his birth weight was 2.9.his current weight is 7.36. after i gave him the drops his afternoon,he is sleeping like anything..he was feeling drowsy when he was awake for a short time...should i continue the medicine? what do u suggest?

regards,

banusree

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Banu - how much are you giving and how often have you been asked to give it? Also can you look at the bottle and tell me how much Cyproheptadine is there in 1 ml of the syrup?
    I had a look at the growth chart and your son needs to gain another 500 - 750 gms to be at the right weight for his birth weight at this age. My personal opinion would be to skip the medicine and concentrate on improving his nutrition. To do that you have to look at his overall diet and see how to add calorie-dense food so that whatever little he eats carries the maximum calories-proteins possible. It would also be better to give him a multi-vitamin syrup/drops to make up for any deficiencies in nutrition. Are you BFing? Maybe you can add a few late night/early morning feeds?
    Dont worry. This is easily correctable and not a big problem at all. Can you list his current diet and we'll take it from there?

Vanathi.