1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep deprived. Please help me remain sane

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Rakhii, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, my 6 week old is such a sweet heart. She feeds well and she falls asleeP real soon. The only problem is that she wakes up every 1.5 to 2 hours. Even in the nights. This means I don't get longer than a max of 1 hour continuous sleep. She takes 90-100 ml if I give her bottle or feed to her hearts content on breast. But still wakes up every so often. Where am I going wrong? I am so sleeP deprived that I need some solution. Here are a few things you must know.

I swaddle her because she wiggles a lot. Else she wakes sooner
    co-sleeping is something I am not 100% comfortable with.
    I usually give her a massage with moisturizer and change into fresh cloths in the night.
    Make sure diaper is not too loose or too tight
    Keep the sounds to min. Make sure she is not over stimulated before bed time.
    Make sure I spend enough time in her own room so that she is not scared. Still she is up!!why?

How long should a 6 week old sleep? Am I expecting too much out of her?
    Oh by the way, I rock her to sleep and put her down in her crib or the couch. She loves the couch and she sleeps the longer there(1.5 hr)

Please suggest Me something. Is she not drinking enough milk and that's why she is waking up? Where am I going wrong?
    Please

2. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rakhi, congrats first.Since the little one is drinking milk , that is liquid, it just gets digested soon and comes out .So she feels hungry again and needs milk every 1 or 1.5 hours.If we are asked to live with liquid alone, we too will feel the same dear.First understand the concept and make the baby sleep near you at least till her 5 th month .

2 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Hemalatha, thanks a lot. I really do need a reminder that I have to be patient. It's just that the lack of sleep is driving me nuts.
    Another thing is that, I am really not comfortable co-sleeping. This doesn't mean that I am not with her. We make sure that either hubby or I are with her in her room while she is there. So the moment she moves and makes sounds, we are at her side. It's weired, here some moms claim that their kids as young as 6 weeks take 150 ml milk and sleep for 4 hours!! I am not comparing dd with her but really curious as to how they are doing it. Don't get me wrong, its not like I don't like to hold dd and rock her to sleep. I just needed some sleep myself.

Anyway, any other suggestion to gently coax her to sleep longer would be greatly appreciated. I think the issue is that when dd is passing from the deep sleep to the REM mode, she is having difficulty going back to deep sleep without waking up. I do not believe in CIO (cry it out) method. But I am sure there are other ways.

How was your baby at this age?

4. Rakhii

Could it be because of weight? She is not yet 10 lbs. this means she doesn't have enough fat inher body to keep her going for long. But weird thing is that she didn't ask for milk every time she woke up. I am so confused.

5. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

I think for a 6 week old, two hours is optimum. Some might sleep longer,say 4 hours, some might sleep less, say 30 mins. mine was like 30 minutes to 1 hr for upto 2-3 months.

6. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

In my case, I made her sleep next to me and woke up and fed her when ever she felt hungry(I assumed that she might be hungry) and never watched the time gap since I too was feeling so sleepy to watch the time.

But I slept during the day time too since I couldn't get enough sleep in the night time.Tough elders insist not to sleep during the day, I really didn't follow that.Because sleep was not in my control then.

You can try to sleep during the day if possible.Assume that there should be an increase of 2 to 3 pounds in weight at the end of each month and calculate whether your baby is gaining that weight.If so you need not worry about the weight factor.Don't set a point like 10 lbs at this stage or something like that.Because each baby will have different weight at the time of birth and so this 10 pounds weight at a particular month will not fit in general.
    Have a nice parenting! Good luck dear.

7. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii , Welcome to the world of motherhood !

Now you know why all mothers tell you to be patient and get enough rest during those last few weeks of pregnancy.. :)

Give your baby some time.. by 3 months they should get into a routine of sleeping longer. Mine was just like yours.. sleeping for 2 hrs and waking up for milk..
    Infact your LO is doing pretty good on milk.. Dont worry ! 3+ ounce on 2 month old is good..

If you are feeding only mother's milk, then have you tried giving formula just once for the night ? I've heard other mothers say that formula makes babies sleep longer (dont imagine , long means 3 hrs -4hrs max).

If you say she sleeps longer on the couch, have you tried cushioning up her crib mattress ? may be thats what she's expecting..

8. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

Hi Rakhii,

Hope you and LO are keeping fine. Dont worry so much about her weight gain/ sleep pattern. I think they will get set usually around 3 months time. Till then its tough, i know. I also used to crave to get some sleep as my LO had very erratic sleep patterns. She never used to sleep properly both during day and night (Max 1-1.5hrs) and used to tire me out! But whatever little time she slept, i also used to lie down and relax and not bother about other things. Thats the best thing to do than worry abt them. Slowly things will be fine. Infact, my LO has completed 8 months now and still gets up 2-3 times in the night. I try to rock her and put her back to sleep, but its not possible. Its they who decide what they want to do! :) So be patient and enjoy the times.. Soon, once ur LO becomes mobile, you will be craving for times when she used to stay put in one place! :)

9. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rakhii,

My daughter too used to wake up every 2 hours, even when she is not hungry. Our doc told us that new borns sleep cycle is generally around 2 hrs and slowly increases as they grow up.

So dont worry that your dd is underweight. Her sleep cycle is normal.

Your requirements are reasonable. Dont beat yourself up over that. Even i wasnt comfortable cosleeping with my daughter mostly because i too was sleep deprived and was afraid i might hurt her in my sleep.

I used to make up for my lack of sleep either by sleeping during daytime or by sleeping late into the morning.

You can ask your husband to pitch in either by letting you sleep early at night or late into the morning while he takes care of the baby. That way you can catch few hours of undisturbed sleep.

Months old babies' sleep cycle is around 2 hours. They wake up even if they are not hungry bcoz the sleep is sufficient for them. They cant stay awake long either. Within a couple of hours, again she will start feeling sleepy again.

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Rakhii...Very common with 6 weeks old infant.Hugs..I have been through this..until my girl was 7-8 months.6 week old sleep for a slot of 2-3 hrs.Its completely normal.
    My girl was a wakeful baby.I used to get up every 1.5 hrs to feed her.BTW i Bfed her till 1.4 yrs during nights.Seek the help of your hubby to put her back to sleep.Not necessarily you must feed her every time she wakes up.
    Don't beat yourself up too much dear.