1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

flat head

Discussion in 'Infants' started by anu1215, Jun 30, 2011.

1. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

hi friends,
    my boys 31/2 months.. yesterday went to pediatrician.. she said my sons heads r flat.. good size of head is 0 to 5 but my son has 9.5 and other 14.5i would put my son for tummy time.. but mil immediately lift him.. now everyone is telling that's my fault, am really worried they would get helmet.. if anyone has faced this issue .. did u go for helmet?

Thanks,
    anu

Similar Threads
    1. mipan
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. SMG
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. sorna
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI Anu,

This happens if the babies are sleeping on one side during the initial 1or2 months. Dont worry , you can still try to get it in shape .. While doing oil massage and bath , make sure to put some extra pressure on the head / skull. massage the flat side to get it round. If you keep doing it regularly , it will fix the shape. Tummy time does not affect the head shape ..

BTW - you moved to Alpharetta is it.. cool ! we should meet sometime.

3. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

Hi, Tummy time does not affect the shape. Also, as per literature on this, babies heads shape change on their own during the first year as the fonatels firm. The shape will be normal by the end of one year. Dont worry. And people of an older generation can sometimes say the most unkind words but dont get angry as even in their ignorance, they are only saying it for the baby.

Just google, and look for websites from hospitals like Mayo, UK NHS etc (not ivillage and iparenting where sometimes parents also put in the old wives tales).

Remember, no one from Europe, Australia or America has this culture of "pressing head to shape it", yet most of the people from there have normal looking heads. So this one's for nature and not nurture.