1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breast milk bank

Discussion in 'Infants' started by tenkanidiyoor, Jun 15, 2011.

1. tenkanidiyoor

tenkanidiyoor Silver IL'ite

Hi dear ILities,
    I am a mother of a 3 months old baby.
    I am facing a very common problem. My breast milk is excess of my son needs.. I extract and throw off the excess milk. I feel really sad to waste such a precious stuff.. With the knowledge that so many babies die because of lack of milk.. Also thousands of children suffer because of non availability of mother's milk, i feel that throwing off is equivalent to commiting a crime.
    I have heard of human milk bank existing in some western countries.. With some research I found out that there are ONLY 2 centers in India (please correct me if I am wrong)
    Please let me know if you are any such centers in Bangalore. Also please reply your thoughts on this..
    Thanks,
    Tenkanidiyoor

2. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

instead of extracting and throwing.. extract into a strile bottle / breastmilk bag & store it in your freezer (up to 6 months) & give to baby in bottle / mix it with the food later on when he starts solids..

so dont throw..

3. tenkanidiyoor

Thanks DevikaS for your suggestion..

4. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

If you have frequent power cut problems.. i would say dont do this.. you cannot even judge if the milk has spoiled or not.. with my own experience.. i too had excess milk... doctor asked me to do workouts to burn more calories to reduce the supply based on need. It worked for me.. also my weight loss was good...

Hope you know producing breast milk for a day burns more than 500 calories under idle conditions

5. PUSHPAJA

PUSHPAJA New IL'ite

Hi i am pushpa from bangalore. My daughter was died after giving birth to a baby girl ... If you can talk to me once and if you can donate milk to my grand daughter i will never forget your favor for my grand daughter my number is +91-9845849901

6. vib

vib New IL'ite

I'm a mother of 40 days baby without breast milk, your excess milk can help my baby for gaining his immunity, you can ring me up at 080 22572564, i'll collect the milk from your home.

7. tenkanidiyoor

I am very sorry ladies! Now that my son is 5 months old, my milk production has reduced
    Its sad that Bangalore does not have a human milk bank.. There are such banks in Mumbai, Kolkata, Pune etc..

Any idea if we could do any thing in this regard? Or atleast ways to make the donor meet the needy on time?

8. pradeep123

pradeep123 New IL'ite

will you please give me contact number of the milk donar in Bangalore, it is very urgent for my brother in law's baby. please help me out.

9. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi op,

it good you started this thread.
    even i was thinking of the same thing.
    good you initiated.my supply is as per for my baby.
    but i did hear my friend's supply was so much like she used to throw it to coconut tree.
    within minutes she could fill a glass. Wish such people could help needy ones.
    hope someone starts it soon.