1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

help- baby teething, itching

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Brinda1, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

Hi, DS is 5 mos and there is just the beginnings of a teeth appearing. His gums however, are itching a lot and poor thing goes mad trying to stuff things (hands, bibs, sheets, shirt etc) in his mouth.

He is not yet old enough to hold the teething ring or carrot stick in his mouth- he keeps dropping it. Now I am at my wits end- i dont know what to do. Pls advise!!!

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

In the chemists, you will get a gel called Bonjela teething gel.
    you can gently apply that over the gums and massage with your finger

Also baby toothbrush are available (It will look like a cap to be put on our index finger). Then massage with it
    If you are in US, I have seen this in Walmart

Buy a teether which is water filled. Put it in fridge to make it cool and then give it to him

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. amul

amul Silver IL'ite

hi brinda

nothing to worry.I was also panic seeing my son in such situation....all used to laugh when he tried to insert something in his mouth..but as a mother i felt very bad and was worried.

i used to giv him or put my cleaned finger as per his requirement....on either side of his jaws..i moved my fingers..and he kept quite after biting them for few secs.
    i used to take care that my fingers are clean.

this was adviced by my midwife.

let him put wat ever he can handle and see that they are clean and sterlized

4. kirukiri

kirukiri Bronze IL'ite

you can tie a small dried khajoor (chuhara) or a carrot in a clean thread and put in your LO's neck (carrot/ khajoor as a pendant).
    Soon your LO will learn how to get hold of it every time it falls from the mouth.

5. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

Are u sure kirukiri... wont that be dangerous..

anyways try the to soothe her with ur finger.. or finger brush that are available for infants in the market

6. adimom

adimom Senior IL'ite

You can use teething gel which very safe. You can apply teething gel upto 6 times a day. But I never use more than 3 times a day. My DD never keeps the teething rings. she keeps dropping it. You can give calpol (infant paracetamol) just before going to sleep at night so that he can sleep well. Other than that holding him, playing with him and diverting his attention is the best way to help them while teething.

7. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

thanks adimom, but i am not in favour of medications etc for such small children. its been a week now, and i have found that massaging with my fingers really helps. also giving him something to chew on, though that takes more patience as i have to hold it.

8. nancymassey04

nancymassey04 New IL'ite

Hi
    I'm a mother to 9 months old son and his first tooth has just come out. It's the upper right. He constantly bites his thumb and as a result has badly hurt his thumb.
    Is it safe to give my son water filled teether? won't it puncture? plz suggest.

9. sumathegreat

sumathegreat Silver IL'ite

I am mother of 11 month old baby. She got 4 upper teeth & 2 lower teeth. Now a days she is biting tables, cot, deewan etc. if i dont give anything to her she will come to me & put my finger in her mouth & bites very hard. Actually she is biting big pieces from carrot. Dont know what to do. Gave teether to her but she is not interested in that

10. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

Nancy, I am assuming that the makers of water filled teethers know that babies will bite them and will make them tough enough not to puncture. I have certainly never heard of one from a good brand puncturing, especially if you read the instructions about usage.

Suma: Same experience with ds. Interested in biting everything but the teether. As recommended by a friend, I let him use a pigeon ist stage toothbrush instead. He was pretty happy with that. Did you try giving a cold washcloth? My problem is that now he is putting his own fingers in the mouth, and it may become a habit, and i dont know how to stop it.