1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aspergers Disorder

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sukar2703, Feb 27, 2011.

1. sukar2703

sukar2703 New IL'ite

Dear friends,

My son is 6 years old, diagnosed with Aspergers just two months back...

Anyone has a kid with Aspergers disorder? What are the special educational material one should provide? School work (though he is very gud at home), making friends with peer group seems to be the major problem with my son.

I would like to share our feelings..

Regards,
    subha

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI Subha..
    work a lot on social skills. Children with Aspergers are very literal, so they miss a lot of social non verbal cues...so make it a point to explain social rules very explicitly.
    Focus a lot on body language-make eye contact when you talk to people, modulate your voice, explain differences in how we talk with friends, familiars and with unfamiliar people, etc.
    You can use social stories to explain these subtle rules which govern our lives.

Here's a good intro to what social stories are about. There are printable stories available. Just google social stories for asperger's syndrome and go through the sets. First see how culturally appropriate they are for you (depending on where you live) and if need be, modify them. I just go to google image and look for pictures when I need them. If you can't find a variety of pictures, take pictures (using a digital camera) with children in your neighbourhood/family to depict the scenes (after you modify the story to suit your need). Print them out on regular paper and laminate them. That way, you can file them together for future use (for some other parent who needs them).

Social Stories: Examples and Tips for Teaching Asperger Students

The trick is to make sure you are consistent with your expectations. For example, my friend's child who has apserger's will alwys blurt out whatever he has on his mind. Sometimes it is extremely funny but my friend is always on the watch for how appropriate a comment it is-her reason (and a very good one at that) is that when he becomes a teenager it shouldn't creat awkward problems for him.
    She has a younger daughter-she arranges for play visits with her daughter's friends (both boys and girls) and this helps her son engage in play/turn taking and learn to interact with moe spontaniety.

What exactly is the difficulty with the school work?
    R

3. sukar2703

sukar2703 New IL'ite

thanx a ton for your suggestions..
    this academic year, we have changed his school wherein the teacher is very caring, touchwood he is really doing well and following the instructions..
    now the major concern is the the social behaviour..
    as you mentioned, we are also working on it..
    one thing i must admit is, this poor guy studiously follows what we preach him and puts lot of effort to correct himself. But sometimes, when people visit home or we go to somebody's house, he gets very excited and becomes little difficult to handle and after we come back, he checks with me whether he behaved well and i feel sorry to everytime say that he misbehaved....he is also very hyper active outside but not @ home..

i can't tell you how gud i felt to read your reply, that i have somebody to share my feelings..

please let me know more on your son, how old is he now, and how is he doing?

subha

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI Subha,
    Glad to know that things are working well for your son at his new school:) Good for him that he has the self awareness-it will help him a long way in learning how to handle social situations.
    One thing you can do before otuside visits or friends visiting you-talk to him first about the change. "We are going to have guests at home...it means there will be more work for us-I will have to do ... and papa will have to do ... What would you like to do to make them feel welcome? (bring water or juice, set the table...make a list and ask him to choose)

Explain your expectations-quiet voice, wait for your turn, walking feet (it is best to put your expectations in very clear short phrases which explain exactly what you want him to do instead of phrases like 'I will try to be good'...good doesn't tell him what he should do).

Next explain the contingencies-"if you get too excited what can we do? What will help you calm down?" Together, identify a couple of calming activities he can engage in to take a break-like coloring, reading a book in his room, reading with one other child, etc. Teach him to say "Mom, I'm going to my room to calm my body." Then you should set a timer/alarm for 10 minutes (so he is not sitting by himself for too long). When the timer goes off, he can come back to the general group-When he does join you, ask him, "Is your body calm?"
    These kinds of cues help him recognize his own state of arousal and develop the neccessary skills to manage even if you are not there. Make sure you offer him the choice of the quiet activity by phrasing it as a positive step (if he doesn't ask for it himself). Say something like, "I think your body is very excited right now. It might be a good idea to go color for ten minutes. You can join us when the timer goes off-that will give you time to calm your body." That way it is a helpful strategy rather than a punishment.

No, I don't have a child with asperger's...I am a special ed. tecaher and have worked with several children with asperger's...maybe if you message the moderator, they will move it to the schoolgoers-teens section and other parents will be happy to share their insights with you.
    R

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I am not connected with any Aspergers children but I have heard that diet can help....especially gluen free. Posting a link:

www.gfcfdiet.com

BTW, on your difficult days, remember that one of the top finalists this year on American Idol has Asperger's and Tourette's and is now happily married father and on the top of his singing.

‪DurbinJames's Channel‬‏ - YouTube