1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Congestion/Cough for 6 month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by pray2god, Jan 27, 2011.

1. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

My DD has been having this cold for the last 4 days. We saw her Pead and he checked her lungs, ears etc and said everything was clear and that the cold/cough is just common cold and that it has to go away on its own..

She appears to be ok during the day but her cough and blocked nose aggravates at night and her breathing is heavy..

What can I try at home that will help her a bit. and make her sleep peacefully. She keeps waking up bcoz of the dry cough.

I tried the cool mist humidifier but it appears to aggravate her cough..

Sad mommy :bonk

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Try this.

1. Elevate her head while she is sleeping. In a crib, you can put a pillow or blanket underneath the mattress where her head stays.

2. Try warm mist - close all doors/windows in bathroom. Turn on shower at hottest level and let the room fill with steam. Sit with her in the steam filled room for 10-15 minutes 2 times per day.

3. The best trick - right bfr she goes down for the night, apply a tiny dot of vicks to the bottom of her feet and cover her feet with socks or put on a onesie. this one will help her sleep well.

4. Heat up some ajwain seeds. Put in a small towel, make a pouch and apply to her chest. Test it on yourself 1st to make sure it's not too hot. This helps break up the congestion faster.

3. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Pray2god,

Ditto.... same here my kiddo ging to be 3 mth old is also having nasal congestion . It has been a nightmare for the last 2 days. WE took her to the Doc and even he suggested No meds for her.

But then Yday we had a big relief and she could sleep peacefully ......this is what i followed :-
    1. We have been putting saline drops in her nostrils 15 mins before every feed..... which helped her in taking the feeds and also it keeps her mucous membranes moist.
    2. As Happysoul suggest layer her with 2- 3 dress and apply a tiny bit of vicks on her feet and wear her a wollen socks. it helped her breathe better.
    3. Also Humidifer is a must in this Horrible horrible weather. I live in NE and its been a terrible winter this year.
    4. We too give her steam inhalation as Happy soul suggested.
    5. My pead suggested raising her bed's height, but my kiddo was sliding away .....so pead asked us to make her sleep on a bouncer for a day or two. So that she feels little comfortable. And indeed she could sleep peacefully the entire night. I just moved her to the crib.... early in the morning.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  4. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

Thanks ladies for the tips.....

warm mist is sure helping.....however I am not seeing her dry cough improve one bit.......

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Another thing .. congestion will make her want to eat less. So feed her smaller amounts more often. Like for my son, instead of 3-4 oz every 3 hrs, we would feed him 2 oz every 2 hrs.