1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

2 month old not able to sleep

Discussion in 'Infants' started by rv8, Jan 21, 2011.

1. rv8

rv8 Gold IL'ite

Hello all,

My little cub just entered his 3rd month. He is purely breast-fed and everything was well till last week.

Now he is having trouble in sleeping. He is wide awake at around 10 PM and fusses and cries a lot when we try to put him to sleep. He sleeps most of the time during the day waking up every 2 hours for his feed, but in the night he sleeps for about half an hour and wakes up again.

For the past 2 days, I am getting a feeling that he gets only 4 to 5 hours of sound sleep. He seem to sleep well, but suddenly wakes up and cries.. Only way I can pacify him is to put him on the breast, but I know this is not the right way too.

Anybody been there in this situation..? Any inputs are highly appreciated!!

2. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi rv,

Check with your doctor. That would be best. Don't let him sleep during the day. 1 or 2 naps is fine but don't let him sleep during the day. I know it's easier said than done. I had the same problem initially and once they start playing more they will get tired and sleep longer. By third month they will sleep through the night. Also at night, ask your hubby to pick him up. That way babies would know that they are not going to get milk from you. Again, easier said than done. But definitely try it out. Please don't ruin your night sleep. I let that happen to me and I gained all the pregnancy weight back within 2 months of sleeplessness. Hope that helps!!!

3. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

At 2 months baby go through a grown spurt. Could be that.

Also please don't deny a 2 month old baby milk at night. They need it. You can diffrentiate btwn day n night by keeping curtains open ext in the day. Night keep it dark and quite.

4. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

at 2 months, don't worry abt b'feeding. keep feeding him at night. He will slowly form a pattern...

5. rv8

rv8 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Rums and Devika... It has become a routine for him now to stay awake till 1 AM to 3 AM... We are unable to break this habit, although we try to keep him awake during the day.. What I feel is that at 2 months babies are really too young to get into habits... I will check with his doc too at the earliest.. Thanks again for your inputs... :thumbsup

6. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

I actually had the same problem. My baby woke up at 2 am and will stay awake till 5am. It was very tiring for me. After 3 months they will form a pattern and sleep longer. Good luck!!!..

7. Dibu

Dibu Bronze IL'ite

Hi

My LO used to do the same when she was about 2m old. She used to wake up at 1am and sleeps only at 4 or 5am. She also sleeps only while suckling. Her pattern changed slowly after 2.5m. Now she sleeps for about 6hrs at night and small 3 to 4 naps in the morning.