1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Info about BCG vaccine

Discussion in 'Infants' started by khushipoise, Nov 30, 2010.

1. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I visited my pead yesterday with my 6 month old ..
    I was asking her about the vaccinations since I plan to fly to India when she is about 71/2 months old - I know they give BCG vaccine for TB in India to babies , at what age do they give it ? Ladies in India pls help me here
    She told me that they dont give it in USA , so I wanted to know from ladies who travelled to India from USA , did u give it to your babies in India ? My baby is 6 months old
    Since the incidence of TB is higher on India , I think I should take it for her when I go ..,but I'm confused if they recommend it .

Pls advice what you all have experienced when u travelled to India ?
    It will really help me as l cant decide whether to go or not .

Thanks

2. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

Hi Khushi
    BCG vaccine given the very next day after birth here in India. get a pediatrician's opinion when you come to India and get it done if possible.
    Hansika

3. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

i agree with hansika my DD was given BCG on day 2

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

I think just a travel vaccine is all that is needed if you are visitng another country. BCG as others said is givn for a newborn and will not be required for a baby who is not going to live in India. Also, I dont think India encourages booster doses..You could check with your Ped there. But, for just a vacation, BCG is not required. It is a mass immunization in India.. does not mean babies without it will get TB.. So, dont worry.

After 6 months of age, guess they do a test for TB before giving the vaccine. Just check how it is right now in India.

5. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

Thank you hansika and lavii :)

Preethi - hi ! Good to see u again :)
    Howz your little one ?
    About the BCG my doc said that if the baby gets infected in any public place like the airport or aircraft then it's a problem ..they will then do the tuberculin test here once I return to check and treat if she catches it ! How generous !
    I found it pretty ridiculous, why would somebody want that as u know treatment is pretty
    long and a pain for babies especially . Now my concern is on what basis do they do the Tuberculin test? Is it just because we return from India? I believe they have to do the test as a part of the USA screening rules but I don't understand what's the criteria ?

I wanted to ask the other ladies too who returned from a vacation in India if their pead suggested this ? What if u get the vaccine there, will they still do the tuberculin test?
    I want to get this thing sorted out before I plan , because if the BCG is indicated by pead in India and is safe at this age I would rather get it done.
    Pls help me out here

Awaiting your responses
    Thanks

Still not sure what the procedures are here in USA?

6. swapna82

swapna82 New IL'ite

Hi khushipoise,

I am in the same situation, my baby is in India now. Pls advice me on what you did to your LO. Did you get BCG vaccine done in India. My pead here in India asked me to do Mantaux test before giving BCG. What procedure have u followed to your baby. Pls advice. It will be of great help.