1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When did you wean your baby off?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by curiousgal, Jul 10, 2010.

1. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

I'm planning to wean my son off by the time he reaches his first b'day.

Also am curious to know if your kids behaved in this manner.
    Since the past 2 days, sometimes when I try to feed him, he tries to play with my nipples. He never used to do this earlier, he just started this yesterday.

Also, he is so distracted while feeding. He will feed for a min, then play with his feet for a cpl of mins. If I stop feeding and want to move away, he will cry. Then he feeds for a min and again looks here and there and starts playing by putting his foot in his mouth.

There is no one at home and nothing happening in our surroundings..so nothing as such to distract him...so I wonder why he is behaving in this manner.

2. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

How old is he?
    I weaned my baby when she was 5+ months.
    Since she was teething she used to bite me and smile:)

[​IMG]

3. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

My son is now 8 months old.

Your daughter started teething pretty early huh?

My son too used to bite me when he was in his 5th month. I thought he was teething, but then when the doc checked, he said it could probably be irritation in his gums.

I found it difficult to nurse him for one week...would always keep watching his face to determine when he's going to bite.....he would only do that once he was done nursing...so I kinda knew when he was going to do that and would carefully stop nursing then.

That phase went away pretty quickly. Now he's so distracted...slightest sound and he looks around :)

4. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I think it is better to start him on the the bottle or sippy cup now.. since he thinks breastfeeding is becoming boring.. I think he only enjoys bfeeding becasue of the close bond and staying close to you..

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Even my son got his first 2 teeth at 5 months. One for christmas and one for new year..He used to bite a lot so I stopped breastfeeding and started pumping...Of course I could not meet his demands just by pumping so I started supplementing with formula too...I stopped pumping once DS was 10 months old...Luckily he never hated formula :).

Now I am getting ready to wean him off formula and go to whole milk.

And he is working on his 9th tooth now..:hide:

6. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Devika:
    Yeah...I'll slowly start transitioning him to the bottle....but maybe sometime in his 10th month. He's now 8 months old...so am gonna feed him for another 2 months...unless and until he gets so distracted that he doesnt feed properly.

Mridusudha: Your son had 2 teeth in his 5th month! Wow! That's early! My MIL says that it is better that kids teeth late because they dont feel much pain. How was it for your son? Was he fussy?
    I used to pump too....very rigorously...now I pump just twice or thrice a day.....just enough for his cereal and another 5.5 oz feed in the night using the bottle. Maybe a month or two later when I stop breastfeeding him, I'll only pump.
    I hate pumping though.....though pumping itself is not a problem, I hate cleaning those parts!! And if I feed using the bottle, cleaning those 101 parts of the bottle...such a big hassle!

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi curious

I started weaning my LO when she was 3 1/2 months ..used to practise her with less amts...maybe 20 ml per day as i had to leave for office after her 5 th month...but after she became 6 months,she completely stopped formula..

And abt the naughty thing ur LO is doin..playing with nipples...My DD did tat today morning also before i left for work...actually wen she was 6-7 months old,she used to observe the Milk droplets tat comes out...later after a month ,she used to drink,then leave and then watch the milk coming out and usually play with that...nowadays she drinks for few minutes,then leaves,looks at them and then smile and starts to hit and play with nipples...if i close thinking she is done, she starts crying..but then after tat,she starts playing...both me and my hubby used to laugh whenever we see this action of hers and she also laughs back as if she has done some big achievement and we are appreciating her...OMG these Little ONes... hahahaha

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  8. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

The first two teeth came without notice and no pain..But then on for every teeth he ahs been having pain and been very restless..

Now he is getting his 9th tooth (The molar teeth) and these are supposed to be more painful and indeed they are..He has been having very restless nights..

Every baby reacts differently to teething..Some have pain, some have diarrhea and some have rashes..So it just depends on the baby...

Good luck when you LO gets his teeth..Hopefully he will not have any of those symptoms..

9. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I am in the process of weaning ....DD is now 15 months old...I day time weaned her when she was 11 months old....Still she is a night feeder....Let me try something to wean off her since my supply is low and she is waking up more than 5 times in the night.

And about distraction it is kinda normal only...DD also does this when she was 6 months old...And they are going to be a fast drinker so they will get what they want in the first few min and start playing with us...:biglaugh