about school in uk

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by dimmi, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dimmi

dimmi New IL'ite

hi all,
    i want to know more information about the schools in uk.
    my daughter is 51/2 year old,and is in year 1.
    she is good in maths as i can guage .but no Idea about ENglish,as we talk more of mother tongue and also we are not so perfect in english.
    here they dont conduct tests,exams or assessments.so i dont know her ability
    status to learn thinks.
    is there any way that we can know as we may go back to india in 2-3 years. [​IMG]i
    am bit worried about syllabus and competative mind that is there in india.
    all suggestion are welcome:)[​IMG]
    thanks

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

HI Dimmi:

Welcome to Indusladies!

Regarding schools in UK, if you are looking for a general idea of schooling in UK, the threads - UK school, Info for UK schools and state /ind schools should help. Though they are not exhaustive, the threads will give you some idea.

Now about your daughter - how long have you been in the UK? Normally, I have seen that it takes a minimum of 6 months to a year to make good progress in English language where English is not spoken at home. Also, in Year 2, there is the Key stage 1 assessment which will give you a good idea of how your child is doing in school. But ofcourse, you do not have wait until next May (May is when normally the Key stage tests are given in school). Any questions regarding your child's progress in school can be checked with the class teacher during the parents / teacher meeting.

Also at the end of the school year, the school gives a report as to how the child has been doing in school and the school also mentions what is the next step / where the child can improve. While this may not help for the Indian school system, it will give you a good idea of how your child has progressed.

While I was in the UK, I taught a little bit of Maths and Hindi to my children, so that they would not find it very difficult once back in India:)

As for English, have your daughter read at home everyday. The school usually gives a reading book home. Also, borrow books from the local library and let your daughter read - this will help her English skills definitely.

I hope this information helps.

Sindhu

3. dimmi

dimmi New IL'ite

thanks for the information sindhu.
    are u in uk now or in bangalore?

4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Dimmi:

I was in the UK until November 2008. Currently in Bangalore.

Sindhu