Comparing school curriculum CBSE/ICSE vs IB/IGCSE

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by roopashreek, Jan 1, 2013.

1. roopashreek

roopashreek New IL'ite

I have recently relocated to Dubai and would like to select school for my 6 year old son. There are various curriculum schools here ICSE, IGCSE, IB, American schools.

I am in a dilemma choosing the good school curriculum, need your suggestions and comments about my observations as I thought UK moms would have better idea about IB/IGCSE similar to National curriculum of England

Indian ICSE/CBSE schools

Pros:
    - have lot more rigor, breadth especially in science and maths
    - regular homeworks, tests, exams make them better prepared for competitive world
    - exposure to indian culture in studies and cocurricular

Cons:
    - teaching methodology might tend to be rote oriented
    - focus is on exams so kids might have difficulty in applying concepts, overall personality development, life skills, confidence.
    - sorrounded by indian kids and teachers comparatively english fluency might not be so eloquent as natives

American/British schools IB or IGCSE

Pros:
    - practical oriented, focus is on application of concepts
    - surrounded by native english kids and teachers so better fluency in english
    - exposure to multicultural environment right from beginning might lead to better life skills as a grown up
    - better exposure to cocurricular development and sports

Cons:
    - low load on home works, tests and optional exams will lead to sudden shock during entrance exams after 12th like SAT or IIT
    - cultural issues of western world might have adjustments issues with us parents with eastern mindset

2. roopashreek

roopashreek New IL'ite

Would truly appreciate opinion of fellow Indian moms from UK who have enrolled their kids in schools with national curriculum of england. Your opinion about british schools as compared to indian schools.