Where to stay in UK

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by newuser22, Jun 28, 2011.

1. newuser22

newuser22 New IL'ite

Hi , I have got an opportunity to work in Daventry (Northhapmtonshire ) and my husband could work in Reading UK . I have 2 kids a 7 year old and a 2 year old .1. Could anyone suggest a good area to live which is convenient to both work location ? Good School and ease of communiting being the main criteria 2. Since we would be moving in end aug -sept mid , what would be the process for joining my 7 year old in school ? do they allow late admissions ?3. Should we rent a flat or a house? Do they allow kids in flats? Is living in a house safe ?4.for my 2 year old which would be better a day car center or childminder?Long timers please help, very worried about school admission and the house .Thanks in advance

2. sanshru

sanshru New IL'ite

Hi Thanks. Daventry itself is a good place to live but Reading is nearly 80-90 miles away from Daventry. If your husband travels by his own car then it is OK but everyday travelling that far is too much and consumes more time to and from work. Minimum 4 hrs both ways. Or you can stay at coventry which is almost 20 miles from Daventry where asian locality is more and you can get all sorts of indian spices and vegetables and all groceries if you are willing to travel. Both house and flat is OK as far kids are concerned. Day care is little bit expensive here and you hav to pay almost £10/hr for the day carer charge. It is better you can stay at Daventry and your husband commutes or even stay at Reading and comes over weekend. otherwise Milton Keynes a good place to live which is again far away for both of you. Please google the location and decide yourself. Regards

3. newuser22

newuser22 New IL'ite

Thanks Sanshru .Will look at the areas you mentioned
    Could you also please let me know regarding the school admission ? Is getting admisson for the 2011-2012 year possible in a primary school at this stage ? Or independant school ?
    Please let me know ,really worried on this .

4. sanshru

sanshru New IL'ite

Hi, Schooling start here from Sep/Oct and now all schools are closed for summar vacation. Anyway it is compulsory for children under 16 to go to school and even if you come later you will get admission in local schools and it is not a big problem unless if you are specific to any particular school. Normally you have to approach the schools in your catchment area i.e where you are going to reside and where is your house is. You can then approach the schools and explain them about your arrival and depending upon your children age they will allocate the standard they should be admitted to. Please let me know if you need any further info in this matter. Regards

5. sanshru

sanshru New IL'ite

Hi Sorry to mention. Independant shcools charge would be £600 to £1000 per children and it is very expensive to get your children to study in Independant schools. You can put them into grammer schools depending upon the area where you live and depending upon the vacancy available there. My children indeed studied in local council schools and they are now doing uni with Warwick Univeristy and Imperial College of London(both are top class uni in UK). It all depends upon your coaching and your children's study. there is nothing we could teach them as all them have to do is to study from internet for their lessons and projects. It is a very different kind of study altogether different from India study culture. Regards