Moving to Singapore from Mumbai in April 2015

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by move2singapore, Mar 12, 2015.

1. move2singapore

move2singapore New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

We are moving to Singapore in mid of next month. Just with any other movement, this is going to be lot of upheavel in terms of uprooting ourselves from Mumbai and leave behind family and friends. We are also exited about meeting new people and making groups/ circle of friends. We are taking this movement as an experiment and have signed up for a two year period which may get extended if we enjoy the place and then decide to settle down.

Though I was in Singapore for 6 months on a project, we need some help to understand and plan our movement a little better. We are a North India (Marwari/ Rajasthani) couple with 5.5 year old daughter.

Foremost is the daughter's education, we understand that local schools do not take kids below six years in primary school and anyways it is difficult to get a breakthrough, so we have decided to let her join an India international school. It is also because we do not have a fixed plan at the moment.

Having said that, we are contemplating Yuvabharti and GIIS. Need your advice which one would be better for a sensitive girl. For GIIS, which campus would be better? Other Indian schools are too expensive for our budget.

Based on the school, we would look at accommodation. I am keen on saving the bus fees as that would be exorbitant and look for places within walking distance form school. I am aware of Bayshore park and Mandarian gardens in East coast which could be option if we decided for GIIS, east coast park. I like those places. However, need some ideas for Jurong where Yuvabharti is based. Our budget is approx. 3K for fully furnished accommodation.

We would also like to hire a full time maid, should we look to hire Indian maid? I have budgeted 1K monthly expenses for the maid, do you think that would be enough?

We also need to bring our stuff from India, we have been quoted approximately INR 400 - 600 per KG for transfer of goods. Any experience/ review and cost of the transporters used by any of you previously would be helpful.

Awaiting your response at the earliest. Thanks in anticipation

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Welcome to Indusladies and to SG :)

1. School and school location - Since my kids are in local school and anything that I say about international schools will only be my impression about them through what I have heard through friends and neighbours, it would not be first hand. So I request ILites with kids in these schools to suggest.

2. Accomodation - 3k is a good bugdet. you will be able to find a decent accomodation with it. dont worry.

3. Maid - budget is good. Should you chose an indian maid is entierly upto you, few prefer to keep maids from other countries strictly for privacy reasons, while few chose indian maids for convenience with cooking.

4. Transportation charges - I am again out of my depths here....:spin Anyone with experience, kindly reply to this post :) My opinion is, if you are getting a fully furnished house, then there wouldn't be much by way of heavy stuff to bring over from India.... just clothing, basic cooking utensils etc, so if you are three people, with a good airlines, you will be able to get around 120 kgs...right? (with Jet I get 30 kgs check-in plus 10 kg hand luggage)....
    well, thing is only my opinion that it can be managed without additional transport, and I may be totally worng.....

Though I have been here for a number of years, I am unable to help you with many of your queries :hide: lets hope ILites with experience in these matters will reply to this thread :)

All the best!

3. move2singapore

move2singapore New IL'ite

Dear Akila

Thanks for your response. I have heard that local schools are tough to get admissions and hence international schools. Happy to have your perspective on them. You would know ppl who have kids there. I am really out of depth here and anything is helpful. I am looking at DPS, manavbharti or GIIS, the choice is so far primarily on the basis of cost.

Thanks again for your response.

Rgds

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you are interested to get into a local school, then you can approach the MOE and they will assist you with the process. If your child was born in 2010, then she will be eligible for P1 in 2016. She will have to undergo K2 this year.

As for international schools, between the three schools, GIIS is better than the other two. DPS everyone seem to complain about the infrastructure and poor management, and navabarathi is relatively new and have been increasing fees every year and many are dissappointed with it.

Hi ILites with kids in international schools,
    Kindly help me out here with your inputs on these schools as what I am stating here is totally what I have gathered through a handful of friends :(