Life as Stay Home Mom

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by kokela, Feb 23, 2015.

1. kokela

kokela New IL'ite

Hi,

I'd like to get to know Stay Home Mums who have a domestic helper as well. I have recently quit my full time job and am now contemplating if I should retain my domestic helper or not. We can afford to keep the helper but I feel that my family and friends tend to judge me as a "lazybum" because I have a helper when I'm a stay home mom. To me, having a helper just means an additional pair of hands to do all the laborious chores while I can spend quality time with the kids. Also, this allows me to have my personal time to go to the gym, temple or meet friends for lunch without having to juggle my time around my kids. More importantly, it gives my husband and me less stress so we are able to have a better relationship, go for romantic dinners or short getaways without the kids. My kids are aged 5 and 3 and are both in preschool.

How many of you SAHMs have domestic helpers as well? Do people judge you negatively? How do you handle it? And how do you split managing the household duties between your helper and yourself so that you don't look like you are sitting at home "doing nothing".

1 person likes this.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

If you can afford to have the help, do so by all means. Do not worry about what and how others judge. There are several stay at home moms in INdia who hire household help.

3. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

Hey never let other people's opinion/judgements decide how you run your life. You are the best judge of how to lead your life so do as you see fit. Go ahead and keep a domestic helper.

People who judge others will find something wrong with your life and judge you anyway however much you try to please them. learn how to face such people with confidence and how not to let what others think affect you.

2 people like this.
  4. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

I am sahm right now with helper, so what?.. I have my future plans and I need time to work on them. If your nuclear family is fine.. just opt it.

5. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

I was working for long 10 years and quit last year. I retained my domestic help to help me in cleaning and washing.reasons

reasons are , I quit job to to take care of myself .my kid and family.to spend maximum possible time.
    If I sit and do all the cleaning stuff all by myself I will not have any energy to spend time with my kid or play with him.

I find some house hold jobs are monotonous and I dont enjoy. If I sit and do this everyday I know I will be frustrated and wont enjoy my free time.

So I just do cooking and all other work is done by my maid .the free time I have is for reading ,doing crafts , gardening and above all to take care of myself :)

dont feel guilty and njoy your time. your maid need money and you need realxed time :)

anika987 likes this.
  6. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

Dear kokela, if you don't mind can you tell me how much do you pay monthly to the helper and what chores do they do?