Grated coconut should not cooked, but what is the reason behind it? Does anyone know?

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by sangrag, Jul 16, 2014.

1. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

Re: Grated coconut should not cooked, but what is the reason behind it? Does anyone k

Good Thanks

2. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

Re: Grated coconut should not cooked, but what is the reason behind it? Does anyone k

Yeah thanks for suggestion,but i dont cook non-vegetarian, When i prepare vegetable kurma ,used to add the grated coconut before 10 mins of switching-off the stove.

3. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

Yeah i agree too your answers Darmesh :)

4. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

Yes Fallenangel, raw coconut does not contains cholesterol, I was asking about while cooking. When we look into the health issues of particularly the people who have High triglycerides, saturated fat consumption should be less per day prescribed by the doctor, Also we can't avoid the coconut daily. we have to think an another option.

5. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

People of Kerala cant imagine a dish without grated coconut. I don't think that all people there have ill health on account of this. In fact they have long black hair and beautiful Skin. They cant think of a day without coconut.

I believe all food products have their own role in helping us to lead a healthy life if used in moderation. " There is a proverb in Kerala Language itself which states " Evn if medicines exceed the right quantity,it is harmful".

1 person likes this.
  6. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

Hello Shanvy,

I agree with your answer.

7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

grated coconut can be used for poriyals with geera powder.grinded coconut has fat but we add cuminseeds and grind to paste.

1 person likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Cutemonster, thank you for that confidence you have in me. but let me add this disclaimer, all that i share is from what i have been exposed either through personal experience or experiences of people around me.

you will amazed at the the good benefits and stories that can tell about oil in general and then the oilcakes...

but i need to streamline my thoughts. once i put it on a post, i will defintely add that link here.

and yes anything within moderation is good. but then what is good for x maybe poison for y. so doing it based on what we read or hear can be equally harmful. maybe there should be fine prints everywhere.

people in the us maynot be getting coconuts like the eastern counterparts..when you can get the natural meat, the water why go for the oil..

and yes cold pressed is expensive mainly because of commercialization and the inability to stick on to the process.

9. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

Hi Vanivyas, Not only Kerala people, Even in my culture we cant avoid coconut. I have long hair too, but I like less coconut to be used in my kitchen daily :).

I never said that on account of using coconut spoils health. Elders who are adamant, coconut-lovers at home also have incurable High triglycerides. Let me see some other interesting posts.

1 person likes this.