Unable to make yoghurt at home

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by IndianQueen, Jan 19, 2012.

1. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Just a suggestion, try CowHead Normal Carton milk, I get very good yoghurt in that. The Skim milk gives very thin one only.

2. janbornchild

janbornchild Silver IL'ite

Hi Ilites,

I tried making yoghurt using all the above tips with farmhouse milk. the culture i used was from Alvas youghurt..but no luck..i seem to get something that is not milk and not yoghurt...the milk available near to me is farmhous, meji or HL...which one should i try for making yoghurt? plz suggest

cheers, Priya

3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Priya,

You can try meiji, one of my friends uses it and gets good curd. I use Amul.

4. ahilakaran

ahilakaran Silver IL'ite

One of my friends told me Dutchlady Full cream is good for yoghurt...

5. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

The reason why the curd in India is good is because by default people buy the 3.25% fat milk. In Overseas you get skim, 1% , 1.5%, 2% and 3.25% milk. As long as you use the 2% milk, you should have no problem.

the other way is use skimmed milk powder like nestle and add extra powder to make the milk..then you can get a fatfree yoghurt which is thick as well...

6. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

Same problem I feel..every time curd is like..thick milk...

7. laksh1201

laksh1201 New IL'ite

Hi,

For thick yoghurt try Amul Taaza milk nd culture is Pauls yohurt.jus buy the smallest packet of Pauls yohurt.It is really good nd thick.

8. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

I came to Singapore a few months back and had a tough time making yoghurt. The reason was simple unless you use an old culture, making yoghurt is almost impossible in UHT milk!

If you know someone, you can request the few tsps of culture and your problem wil be solved! OR

Like me, boil 3/4 liter Amul blue box milk and add 3 tbsp of Alvas yoghurt and juice of 1/2 lime to warmer milk, not hot but not Luke warm....enough to put your finger in milk and keep it for few seconds before you feel like burning. Let it set for a few hours.....you will notice that the curd is set, but also it would have separated.....like when making paneer....there will be a lot of whey and the curd will be a bit grainy. You can use 2-3 tbsp of this yoghurt as a starter after one day to make fresh yoghurt.......

Don't throw the leftover starter, blend in mixie and use it to make kadhi/mor kuzhambu, jut don't let it boil (only simmer)....otherwise it will split! One more tip, add rice flour to the kuzhambu so that it stays a little thick.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  9. shyla

shyla New IL'ite

hi dear,
    i have one more tip for u ....buy nestle milk powder from mustafa.pour some 8 to 10 spoons of the powder and add water to it and make it like milk.approximately u can make 2 cups of thick yoghurt dont add too much of water to this amount of powder .now boil the milk like usual milk on the stove or in a microwave.bring it to a cool or lukewarm then add pauls yoghurt as the yoghurt culture and leave it overnight.u will get a nice thick yoghurt ready in the morning.do this once or twice then you will get an idea of how much of powder to be added to get thick yoghurt and it depends on the quantity also .i m doing the same method and it comes out well.i will do 1 pauls yoghurt box full for once and it comes for 2 to 3 days for me.

try this, gud luck.

10. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Priya,
    I use meji milk..with this I get a thick curd..i used amul curd as the starter..