Advice Required on Living in Saudi.

Discussion in 'Indians in Riyadh Province' started by Pras, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Pras

Pras New IL'ite

Hi All,

Warm Greetings to all !

I just become a member on this site and found the content immensely useful. So thought of popping a query and taking suggestions...

I am a IT Professional from India and currently posted in Singapore.

I have an offer from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and the job profile as well as the pay seems to be ok.

I am a single male and I want to know from members the following questions:

1. Is it easy to find furnished accomodation as a Bachelor and is it easy to locate hotels/laundromats etc and approximate cost of living.

2. At some point in time, I intend to get married and bring my Spouse into Saudi- Can u advise me on the what I have to look for my employers to get my spouse into Saudi.

3. Is it possible to bring parents into Saudi esp for non muslims?

4. Any other advice on living...cost of livings etc - do take the liberty of letting me know.I would be much obliged for this.

Thanks and Regards,
    Prasad

2. Kitchuppa

Kitchuppa New IL'ite

Hi Prasad,
    It is good to see you asking some suggestions and advice. I am living in Saudi for the past 10 years and I can probably tell you a few points.
    As I am in Eastern Province (Alkhobar) I dont know much about Riyadh. But things are almost same everywhere here with more liberated society in eastern province because of Aramco the Oil Giant.
    1. You will have to ask your employer to give you proper profession in your visa like Engineer, software professional etc., and based on this only family status will be provided by the country.
    2. Getting furnished accommodation will be easy but may be costly. If you have plans to get married and bring your spouse probably you can try for flat suitably and furnish yourself.
    3.My figures will be approximate: For a furnished singly accommodation you have to bear around 1500-2000 saudi riyals per month and for a family flat you may have to pay around 20000 riyals per annum. But you have to tell them that you will bring the family within a year like that.
    4.Things are becoming costlier here and be careful to accept proper offers. But definitely saving potential will be better than anywhere else.
    5. Your spouse must be willing to confine herself in house, if she is a home maker or can go for school teachers job or in medical line like doctor or nurse.
    6. She has to wear black 'burka' and cover head also. In Riyadh and Jeddah areas this may be viewed seriously. But in Khobar and Dammam nowadays I see ladies without covering their heads.
    7. Your family expenses will be around SR2500 per month max for two. It depends on your living. As you are single initially, you may need around sr1000 per month.
    8.I think I have covered all your points and you can ask when you need more details.

3. humerarouf

humerarouf Senior IL'ite

hi ,just read the querry and the answer.hope you dont mind my intruding,iwanted to know in detail about a working couple,doctors,who are getting job offers but want to take along elderly parents and 2 small kids.what are the laws like and how can this be dealt?are there any criteria?i have heard of people who could manage keeping their parents with them.can you help by explaining in detail?regards,humera.

4. Kitchuppa

Kitchuppa New IL'ite

Dear Mr.Prasad,
    I see that you have asked these questions long back. I dont know how far the reply is useful. Still I continue apart from the points which I gave yesterday.
    1. Bringing parents to help their daughter/son here in Saudi arabia is possible mainly for mother. For father probably no other caretaker should be there in home country and may be some additional such declarations are required. This applies to non-muslims.
    2. If you have the habit of alcohal you have to keep it completely away. Otherwise you may face problems. Here it is obsolutely restricted. Similarly social gatherings like clubs, cinema halls etc are also not there and are allowed.
    Now the list is probably complete.

5. humerarouf

humerarouf Senior IL'ite

thankyou, mr.kitchuppa.regards,humera.

6. Pras

Pras New IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    Thanks for the timely advice.

Its is very timely for the fact that I am landing in Riyadh next week.

I will keep in touch and I need all the sane advice :) .

I really appreciate your reply and the information contained in it.

For more queries, I will message you .

Regards,
    Prasad

7. e_vikki

e_vikki New IL'ite

Hello all,

Thanks for your information...I am vignesh from chennai, India. i am an IT professional
    I ve gotta offer in saudi for 6K SAR. I have accepted the offer and I'll be there in the month of may.I would like to know if this salary will be fine in riyadh considering the savings and expenses and also Is there any place in riyadh, where i can get a shared accomadation..? kindly reply

regards

Vignesh

8. Pras

Pras New IL'ite

Hi Vikki,

Good to see a post.

I am about 2 months old in Riyadh and I am into IT as well.

I think 6000 SR/Month may be on the lower side. Anyway it depends on whether you are single or with family.also what do u want as savings...

Shared accomodation is available but it will vary from 500SR to 1500 SR or more depending on location and facilities.

If you are not getting any other perks apart from your salary-then I guess it will be less.

Rgds

9. S_kranth

S_kranth New IL'ite

Hi, just came across this site, and found that I might get some information here.

Iam from Karnataka ,India.

Recently My husband has got a job offer Saudi arabia(western region), and he has been offered SAR 9000 currency as in Saudi arabia.

Wanted to know whether the offer is good , as i have heard that it's we who have to manage everything right from accomodation,schooling,transportation etc.
    How far can we negotiate to get a decent saving of atleast Rs 80000 per month.

We have a 5yr old son , so wanted to know about schools i.e Indian schools are there and the fee structure for u.k.g class.

We are pure veg , so do we get Indian food stuff available, i.e supermarkets or shops.
    and how r the Indians treated over there.

What r the restrictions for women and children?

R there are any hobby classes and extra curricular activities for Indian children over there and what r they??
    Please reply to my queries. and revert asap. pleaseeeeeeeee

Thank You,

SNK

10. Pras

Pras New IL'ite

Hello SNK,

Welcome to Saudi Arabia -whenever u choose to land.

I am in Riyadh and hence I dont know about other places.

I landed in Saudi about 4 months back and let me share my thoughts.

1. with SR 9000 - u will not be able to save 80000 rupees per month,as a riyal is around 11 rupees (9000*11=99000) and your expenses will definitely be in the range of 3000 SR per month for a family of 3.(including housing,education,transport,visa ,travel cost etc) atleast.

2. In Riyadh and am sure in most of the cities, you will be able to get Indian vegetables,rice and good quality milk and fruits. So you can survive as a vegetarian.
    Though if you are dining out - you may not find pure veggie joints ....There are lot of malls for you to explore....

3.For understanding the local culture you can check out any of the website on saudi lifestyle ( U can google on this). I guess if you respect the local culture and sentiments- you will find Saudi a safe place

4. There are hobby ,informative and education oriented classes for kids. You may want to research a bit in your local area before you arrive at options.

5. A personal piece of advice from me.....one will find any foreign country likeable and adjustable if one always doesnt multiply things by 11 (convert them into Indian Currency). This will give u lot of peace...:)

6. Weather ranges on the extremities but the humidity is less ( atleast in riyadh).

I wish you and your family a warm welcome to Riyadh...

You can post me a mail/Pm me if you have more queries.

Also I suggest you read Mr. Kitchuappa's email on this thread,I found it very useful and informative on Saudi.

Beware the sisters on Indusladies may not reply to such mails...its only the brothers who will reply :)

All the best.

Rgds
    Pras

Last edited: May 30, 2008