Fish thats available in doha supermarkets

Discussion in 'Indians in Doha' started by asha_ram, Sep 18, 2014.

1. asha_ram

asha_ram Silver IL'ite

Hi

I would like to know what fishes are available here and which is good for fry & curry ( kulambu)...Also any translation from their english names to tamil names will be appreciated.

i have just tried king fish here and would love to experiment on other varieties also.share which is the best place to buy fresh fishes.

Thanks
    Asha

2. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi Asha,

All that we buy are Tilapia (Jilebi Kendai) and King fish (Vanjiram). Rarely we get Tuna. If you go to 'Safari' in Abu Hamour, they have a list displayed with the English name and the Indian name, in the fish selling area.

We get fishes from the Fish market in the Abu Hamour area (Near Wholesale market).

3. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

Hi,

Even I was wondering the same thing that which fish do normally people buy here to make fish curry. Actually we like fresh water fish very much but as you hardly get them here, the next best fish that I have found which is best for curry is salmon. I have bought tilapia and king fish sometimes and have made curry with it, but am not a great fan of them. I find the texture of the fish after frying and making curry, to be little hard and dry on the other hand salmon is very moist. Pomfret is also another good option, but I usually do not make curry with it. I add different kind of spices and fry it whole (for small ones or just cut into 2 pieces for big ones) or sometimes bake them also.

Other than fish I like cooking crab and shrimps also. I also love canned Tuna very very much, but I don't cook it, just make sandwiches and wraps out of it by mixing it with other things.

I normally buy all these things from supermarkets and have not visited the wholesale fish market yet. But I have heard a lot about it. One day I am planning to go.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. ahilakaran

ahilakaran Silver IL'ite

Fishes from fish market (wholesale market) are very good... you can also get good fishes from corniche area...

we buy kingfish(vanjiram), pomfret (vaaval), sangara, tilapia, sherry, hamour, parrot fish... all these are good for both kuzhambu and fry..