Mid-term school admissions in Doha.

Discussion in 'Indians in Doha' started by happy_feet, Apr 23, 2014.

1. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

Hi ILs,

My husband has already landed in Doha and is in company accommodation in Bin Mahmoud area. His RP is under way. I and DD will be joining him once he gets his RP (which should be by May end). We will start physically looking for schools from June 1[SUP]st[/SUP] week onwards (now I am gathering as much information from net , as possible).

We are looking for both British and Indian schools. And all the best schools from these 2 categories are either full or have completely stopped accepting new application forms. Still then whatever little choice we have, we will try our best to put DD in any school, who accepts her. But as we will be applying in June, it seems that it is going to be a herculean task for us.

She will complete 4yrs on 13[SUP]th[/SUP] aug 2014. (D.O.B. 13[SUP]th[/SUP] Aug 2010). She should be eligible for KG1 in India, no idea about the class she will fit in Doha.
    Now my question is, although we will try our best to put her in a big school ( I mean which has till std X ), but if we do not get that type of school, then do we have any alternatives like in India we have Euro kids, Zee kids, Apple Kids, Jumbo Kids, etc schools which have only till KG2 or Std1. These schools usually do not have any limits for number of kids and normally take kids throughout the year. Are there any these type of schools available in Doha?? Please advice as I am not getting much information from net on these small schools.

P.S.- I have heard there is Newton School (British) in Barwa city which normally takes mid term students as it is very far and most people from city do not prefer to send their kids there. Is there any chance that we can get an admission there (no problem for locality, we can shift)??

Another hope is Rajgiri Doha Public School. We thought as it will start from 2014, we may have a chance there but from what I read in these forums, it seems the construction is not yet complete and they have not started taking in new kids as of now?? Any input on that will be very helpful.

Sorry, the mail seems very long. Thanks in advance to all those who have taken time to go through the mail and have helped.
    Thanks
    Shrabani.

2. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shrabani,

Glad to know that you will be here in Doha in a couple of months.

Regarding School admissions here, the child should complete 3 & 1/2 years as of march and now as per your DD's age you should put her in KG1. The Schools here close in July for summer vacation of two months and reopen in September.

I would advise you to put your daughter in a good nursery for 3 months - June, July & August and seek admission for September session. You can enroll for that now itself. Is she going to any play school or nursery now? It would be better to put her in one so that she could cope up easily. In the first term, they mainly practice writing the strokes.

To get admission in Newton also you should apply well in advance. Rajagiri was supposed to start this year but is not operational yet.

There is one more kindergarten that has got good reviews - The Springfield Kindergarten. You could ask your husband to check with them for the September session.

There is a possibility for you to get in DMIS in the Mid-term session. One of my friends got there for her DD, last year.

Wish you good luck :)

3. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Shrabani , Here is the age criteria for school admissions as per SEC as said in one of the renowned Indian schools here.
    As of March 31st 2014 , minimum of 3 years and maximum of 4 yrs 11 mnths and 29 days.

I am not sure of newton school but Barwa city is a good place and you can shift over there if you get a place in that school.The last time we visited(a year ago), the school work was not complete.Have they started the school?

4. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

Thank you Sharmila and bhuvnidhi for your suggestions.

Yes she has completed nursery in India and was supposed to go KG1 this year here, but as we r waiting to move to Doha, I have not put her in any school. Anyway the summer vacation in India has also started.

Sharmila, i checked The Springfield Kindergarten on net. I was actually asking for this type of schools. If anybody else knows some similar schools then please let me know.

I will definitely check DMIS and also almost all other Indian schools but I know it would be difficult to get mid-term admissions. I think schools like Springfield Kindergarten can be kept as backup. Once we stay, next year we will apply to schools of our choice, but for immediate admission, i need a school very badly.

Thank you all.