1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Jersey City/Edison

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by Nitha J, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Hello all;
    Please suggest me which place is better to settle. Edison or Jersey City???
    I need all of your opinions very very very badly.

We are planning a relocation as my Dh would be working in two places mid-Newyork and Pavonia Newport and some days he will be travelling.
    JCity is closer to his office less than 20 minutes travel. But the crime rates are high; unless you get a good area.
    I like edison better as it is less congested; and I have a few friends there. I have a toddler and I can keep her engaged as the library and YMCA is in walkable distance.But the travel time is more than 1 1/2 hours one side; so my DH will spent 3 hours plus a day just travelling.
    Suggest me which is better from your experience.
    Thanks
    Nitha

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nitha,
    In my opinion living in Edison is better.When we were there my husband used to commute to NY from metropark station only. All the day time I used to roam around the library, oaktree road and merryl park. I did feel safe at parks also. That won`t be possible if you live in Jersey city. Still there are lot of Indians. You can take your kid to park and library as the weather is nice there. During the commuting time they take rest and free from the stress of driving. I hope this may help you in your decision.
    Take care!

3. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Vidya;
    Thanks for your time.
    I like edison but thoughts of making him travel for 3 hours is making me feel guilty:(
    I hope newport area is a little better. I am afraid of JC because of the crime rates (and the endless cemetery's around):).
    I wonder if I can find any activities for my LO in JC. In edison the lib and Ymca are offering a lot of activities.
    -Nitha

4. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Nitha,

I dont know the area. But I would anyday prefer to live in a residential area with commucity activities and YMCA and libraries close by than living close to work place. Its safer and even our partners will be at peace if tehy had to work late not bothering about our safety. And with kids both them n we need friends in locality to develop their social and interactive skills . Go for Edison is what I would say. But I dunno about how bad weather gets there and how your husband feels about traveling three hours a day. Other than that Edison sounds like good community. If we are not right in the middle of downtown I find the rent and amenities low too in communities that are residential.

All the best,

Regards,
    CC

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Being in NJ for the last 10 years, would suggest for Edison as you have all kinds of facilities, starting from the school district & other safety issues. Though schoolmay not be the top priority to your kid(if she is younger), soon it will be in your list. We live more south to you and my husband goes to NYC everyday by train(up and down, will take 3 hrs.). But, again, if they travel for a day or week, atleast, dont have to worry as we read so many news happening even in NJ. Think twice before making any decision.

Good luck..

6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Nitha, what does your husband say? High crime rate vs. good, safe facilities with friends living around - I think we would choose the latter in a heartbeat. Yes, 3 hours of commuting is not fun, he may have to get up early to leave for work, and come a little late but you are the one who's going to be spending most of your time living in the area, and you don't want cooped up in the house all the time. I would choose Edison too as it sounds like there are so many things to do and with friends around - a good support system in a new area. :)

Raj

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  7. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Nitha,

Same as what others had to say...Merits of Edison seem to outweigh that of NJ. Think well and decide..Sorry for the ignorance, isn't there any other place inbetween which satisfies all your criteria ?

Radhee.

8. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Ami; Raj; CC and Radhee.
    Yes; we have booked an apt.in edison. We travelled to both the places last weekend ;talked to the "people/Indians" staying in both the locations and finally made this decision.
    Thanks a lot
    -Nitha

9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Congratulations, Nitha. :)

Raj

10. anu_gk

anu_gk New IL'ite

Hi Nitha,

Congrats on finding the suitable place for you. Even I had same questions few weeks back. My hubby would be working in NYC and we wanted safe place which is also near to his work place. Hence we booked apartment in Newport area. Though it is expensive here, but safety is good. Also lots of Indians also around.
    Best luck.

Regards,
    Anu