1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Re-locating to US from India - Need suggestions/ advice

Discussion in 'Indians in New Jersey' started by abhavaraju, Jun 22, 2015.

1. abhavaraju

abhavaraju New IL'ite

Dear ILites

Request suggestions from all experienced ladies in the US on this.

I currently stay in India but will be moving to the US within 1-2 months. I will be moving to Mahwah, New Jersey. Me and my husband work full time and have to be at office from 9-5:30pm. Work will be hectic as we will be working in US projects for my parent company in India.

I have 2 kids aged 6yrs & 3 yrs. My daughter goes to an International School in India, so syllabus wise I do not think she will have an issue that too being in first grade. She is good at her stuides too.

I am more worried about how the kids will adjust to the transition from India to the US and after school care for my daughter (I do not want to enrol her into After School programs at her school, but prefer some other options like some homemaker picking her up etc and costs for the same).

My son just started his preschool in India and does not speak/understand English. I am hoping he will pick up in a couple of months there.

Any suggestions / advice will be very valuable to me. Kindly ask for further info if required.

Also any ILites in Mahwah?

2. abhavaraju

abhavaraju New IL'ite

Dear All, Please provide your thoughts and suggestions..

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Have you planned to put the younger one in day-care?

4. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Young kids adjust easily so I don't think you will have a problem. Personally, I will pick the school's A/S program over some homemaker for safety reason.

5. abhavaraju

abhavaraju New IL'ite

Thanks for the response Crayoness and Momsky.

@ Crayoness : Yes there is a full time day care nearby office, so I plan to put my son (3 yr) there.

@ Momsky : I gathered from some close friends that the AfterSchool programs are not monitored by teachers as such, but are more left to the senior kids of the school to help with Homework. So what the little ones pick up there (academic or attitude or language etc) will be very much dependent on the Senior class kids. Moreover if the school remains closed due to snow or any other reason, I will not be left with any place to leave my 6 yr daughter when I go to work. That’s the reason I was looking for nanny or some other options.. You can correct my understanding. Also would you know the cost of Afterschool programs , other options etc.

6. tannu28

tannu28 New IL'ite

There is growing evidence from around the country that afterschool program approach is paying off. Children who attend afterschool programs do better in school, and are safer and less likely to get into trouble in the hours after the end of the school day.I'd suggest a good afterschool program and prefer it over leaving your kid with a babysitter or nanny.