1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

schools in st. louis

Discussion in 'Indians in St. Louis' started by Mommynme, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mommynme

Mommynme Guest

Hello Ladies,

My job requires me to move to saint louis in the next 3 weeks and am not sure which area should i rent an apartment.

Which area of st. Louis has more indians? also i would like to find out if there are any exemplary elementary schools in the area?also which apartments have more desi's? can you please send me the names of the apartments if possible

Are there any dance and music teachers in the area if not surronding areas?

Please help me as i am completely lost at this point.

Thank you.

2. Mommynme

Mommynme Guest

22 views and no responses, please ladies help me out here....can you atleast let me know of the suburbs where more desi's live? i will be able to take it from there?

3. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hi Mommynme,

Glad that you are moving to st louis.It is my first home in US.:) .We lived in Camden Cove West Apts in Creve Coeur i.e the west county for almost 4 years.Actually it was our base & we used to travel from there as part of my husband's consulting job;so used to live there on & off.I can say west county is a very decent place to live.

If you will be working in the downtown it will be a 30min drive from cove west apt.You will be just minutes away from I-270.You can find all facilities like walgreens,groceries,fedex, restuarants on the same rd i.e olive blvd,very convenient.

When we were living there were some good number of Indians in cove west apartments.It is a nice,decent & secure place.You can also look at the Camden Cross Creek apartments just opposite to the cove west apts,many desis live there too.But i recommend cove west.The maintenance is very prompt.With the two lakes inside and outside the apartment,we just fell in love with it.

You can consider other apartments like oxford hills located near by(large population of indians live there),maryland heights is another area where more indians live.

I have no idea about dance & music teachers.Parkway school district is a reputed one i believe.

Chesterfield is also a good area.
    Let me know what you have decided after looking at my recommendations.:hiya

Enjoy your stay at STL!

ManuuRaghuu

4. Mommynme

Mommynme Guest

Thank you so much for your input.
    Can you please let me know what kind of place Ballwin is?
    Any ideas about Woerther Elementary school (Rockwood school district)?
    do many desi's live in Ballwin?

Please let me know if you know anything about the above.

5. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Hi Mommynme,

Sorry I just came across your post now. Welcome to St. Louis you will love it here. :)

Ballwin is a primarily residential area and also a central one and lot of indians live here in Ballwin. Pretty good place IMO. If your stay would be Ballwin you are very close to lot of dining places and also indian grocery store. I live in Chesterfield so I can tell you for sure that Chesterfield is pretty neat place but you may not find as many Indians living here as in Ballwin or Maryland Heights/Creve Coeur and also Chesterfield is a little pricey. Maryland Heights has huge population of Indians infact we lived there in an apartment (Whisper Hollow) for 4 years prior to moving to Chesterfield.

Do you mind telling me where your workplace location would be?

Rockwood School district is the #1 school district here in St. louis although I am not sure what all are the places that come under rockwood district as I do not have any children so I don't know. Second best school district is the Parkway School district but I have also heard that both these districts are pretty close in ranking. Ballwin probably does come partly under rockwood and partly under parkway so you have a best bet in settling in Ballwin.

About music and dance, very reputed school is here for dance and music called Surya Dance Academy and other private teachers...and there are classes held every week or so I think. You can browse this website which has lot of information about it and also about Grocery stores etc here in St. Louis. MyIlaaka: Gateway to St. Louis' Indian Community or :: N A M A S K A R D E S I . C O M :: A Desi Community Portal

Hope I have been of some help to you and let me know if you need any other information.

Jaya

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  6. Mommynme

Mommynme Guest

yes jaya,

that information was really helpful, my workplace is on page ave near st. louis airport. I won't mind the distance as long as my kids are in the best of schools.

I was reasearching on Woerther Elementary and the asian population in that schools is aroung 11%. do you have any ideas about this school?

do you know anything about westglen village apartments and if any desi's live there?

Thank you.

7. ManuuRaghuu

Your welcome Mommynme! Yes,refer to the desi portals.Am sure you will get most of the info there.Regarding Ballwin,i know that it is close to the temple and a decent area & yes i think many desis are living there as per Jaya.

Good Luck,:)

ManuuRaghuu

8. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

If the Elementary School comes under Rockwood District then you can best bet that it is one of the best schools there is. I can ask around my friends who have kids to tell me more about this school because as I told you I do not have kids...sorry :)

Page Avenue is in Maryland Heights btw...so I wouldn't mind checking schools there too (Parkway district) just to cut some traffic time. But if you are open to distance then Ballwin is just fine.

About Westglen Aapartments I do not have any friends right now living there so I do not know about if any desis do live there...but I can almost bet that you would find desis there too. :)

Jaya

9. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Btw I just got a reply from one of my friend about Woerther Elementary school and his reply was -

1. It is in rockwood schhol dist- which is good
    2. Lots of asian kids go there (obviously of the# of them who live in that area)
    3. As far as I know it is a good school
    4. I have a few friends whose kids go there. So let me know if you need anything specific- I can get them answered for you

HoJaya

10. ManuuRaghuu

Hi Jaya,:hiya

Glad to know that you are also from STL.Am happy to meet you on IL.We have many memories at STL,Nice Place!:)

ManuuRaghuu