1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Iowa? What's that?

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by Ansuya, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

When my husband and I discovered we were going to be moving from South Africa to Iowa, we excitedly set about trying to put the place in context. Since America has colonised much of the world culturally, through TV and movies, we already had some associations with most US states. However, we drew a blank when it came to Iowa. A quick and totally random search revealed the following:

1) Ashton Kutcher (I don't care how old you are, you have to admit, he has the hotness) was born in Cedar Rapids!
    2) Iowan earth makes up 25% of the best farmland in all of the US.
    3) Bill Bryson, great travel writer, is from Des Moines.
    4) Erm, that was about it.

Since we're small town people who enjoy the simple things in life anyway, we resisted developing an inferiority complex about the potential lack of glitz and glamour of our new home. When we got here, we discovered even Americans know little about Iowa, or tend to dismiss it. Most memorably, I was once at a talk where the speaker said, "If you want to end an unwanted conversation on a plane with the stranger sitting next to you FAST, just tell them you're from Iowa".

A little more dispiriting was how Iowa seemed to disappear into the Bermuda triangle that exists in most people's minds. We'd tell people we were moving to Iowa and they'd respond with, "So, how's Ohio treating you?" or "What's it like in Idaho anyway?".

Well, we've been living here for a year now (in Iowa, people, IOWA) and I love it. The last winter was incredibly long and cold and icy and snowy, but like the Joker says, whatever doesn't kill you just makes you stranger, and we survived. The people are incredibly friendly. The summer has been just plain incredible (what? why are the leaves turning brown and falling off the trees? It isn't even September yet!).

So, we have come to love our new home, despite its seeming lack of any notable claims to fame (or perhaps, precisely because of that). However, what prompted this post was my noticing that in the list of states under the "Indians in the Midwest" heading here on the Indusladies forum, Iowa is MISSING. Yes, every other midwestern state around Iowa has been mentioned by name. Except the one in the middle - Iowa. Or am I missing it somewhere else? Please, Powers that Be, remedy this situation as soon as possible.

Thanks!
    Ansuya

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Ansuya,(lovely name)

Your write-up about Iowa was interesting ! :)

Yes, me too, did some research about Iowa since my hubby was on project there just for 40days many years back.

It was pretty cold during his stay there and he used to tell me that it was land, land and more land...extremely spacious and quiet. Probably because there was more agriculture and dairy industries there.

As you mentioned, no glitzy glamour or hype about this place.

Yet, loved the way, you have brought out your experience and stay in a positive manner with a lighter note. Glad to know that you love your home...as I often say and think..."Happiness is a state of mind and we are responsible for it 100%". It is upto us to make ourselves satisfied, contented and cheerful wherever we are.

Good luck and enjoy your stay at 'Hawkeye State' or other wise called 'Tall Corn State'.

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Big LaughBig Laugh

Hello there Ms.Idaho.. oops.. Ohio???:hiya.. ohhh rightttt... Iowa:mrgreen: ... how are ya ;-)

loved your writeup !!

Hope you get Iowa in the listing !!!!!

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ansuya
    Welcome to IL
    You have started off with a great thread written so well in such good humor.. I was actually caught by your title.. so came in to read and your narrative style is so captivating.. love this piece that I have also nominated your thread to be considered for the Finest Posts of September.
    Do keep writing dear.. looking forward to reading more from you:)

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ansuya,
    Lovely write up! Very humorous and seems like you enjoy your new home much! Have a great time!:thumbsup

Congrats on getting nominated in the FP of the month....

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  6. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the positive feedback - it's certainly encouraging for a new ILite like me, and it's sure to keep me posting in the future.

Krithika, how gracious of you to say you like my name (I'll remember your kind words the next time I patiently explain again and again to another American how to say it right!). You're absolutely right about how our mindset determines whether we can make the best of things or not. Of course, in Iowa, it helps to have a positive outlook AND good central heating, otherwise you'll be cheerfully frozen 6 months out of the year!

Nandshyam, thanks for the compliment and the support for getting Iowa "recognised" as a proper Midwestern state.

Anandchitra, I really appreciate your substantial positive comments on my writing style, and I thank you for the nomination. It feels good to be acknowledged in this way.

Aishu, I'm so glad I was able to amuse you. I am enjoying myself here in Iowa, and I'm looking forward to using the good experiences I've had to help other ILites who have to make the transition to living in the States with whatever advice I can give. Thanks for the congratulations.

I'd like to hear from other Iowans. I live in a university town, and have been told time and time again that this town is not typical of Iowa (which is considered to be a typically Midwestern state with the conservative values and traditional ways associated with agricultural regions). So, if you live in some other part of Iowa, please share your experiences with us. If anything, the more Iowans pipe up here, the more likely people are to start believing that Iowa actually exists!

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi ansuya,
    a very good write up and am glad u are positive and enjoy the new place u are in...do keep writing..thanks to u IOWA will now be in the IL map......
    regards
    Mindi

8. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the kind note, Mindi. Another person who's trying very hard to put Iowa on the map (albeit in a slightly more athletic way than me) is Shawn Johnson. She's an Iowan gymnast who recently won gold at the 2008 Olympics, and a couple of silver medals as well.

I was very proud to hear of her achievement, especially since to me, she represents a lot of what is good about living in Iowa specifically, and the Midwest in general. Here, people tend to be more real and down-to-earth. Shawn, for example, goes to a regular high school here in Iowa and reportedly trains for only half the time that other Olympic-standard gymnasts do (who usually have private tutors instead of school). Unlike them, she seems to live the normal life of a teenager and isn't one of those young people whose athletic success has come at the cost of their youth. Added to that, she performs well academically and takes part in other activities too.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I saw that two media outlets had chosen to mock Shawn's looks instead of focussing on all the wonderful ways she serves as an example to other young people. TMZ, an entertainment news site, said she looked like Topo Gigio (some kind of mouse from a children's show), and Conan O'Brien compared her to Howdy Doody (another comical-looking character from a children's show).

While I've been here long enough not to expect any classy or significant to come out of TMZ, I was a bit surprised at Conan, whose humour I occasionally enjoy. Celebrity-bashing here is reaching epidemic proportions. I'm in no way a Britney Spears fan, but it was clear that the media played a huge role in her recent disintegration, simultaneously encouraging her strange behaviour and feeding off it in a perverse frenzy.

It's just not... nice. No matter how vapid or pointless or untalented a "celebrity" may be, it's just tacky at best, and downright inhumane at worst, to denigrate that person in a public forum. Mass murderers get better treatment than celebrities in the media. Yet, pointing fingers at the press is short-sighted, because they seem to be giving the public what it wants.

Which brings me back to Shawn Johnson. She's cute - she may not have platinum blond hair, surgically-enhanced breasts, or a perfectly (artificially) symmetrical face, but she's a lovely, healthy young woman who's done a lot we can be proud of. Also, she's a teenager, and teenagers have it hard enough trying to fit in and get used to all the rapid changes they undergo without having their looks made fun of to the entire nation.

Of course, she's classy (she's Midwest born and bred!), so she's taking it all in her stride, instead of lashing out at the insensitivity of her adult tormentors, which is even more reason to admire her. She's calm, gracious, and mature - which is probably more than we'll ever be able to say about the folks at TMZ. (Conan, I'm still prepared to forgive you- it must be those Irish good looks).

9. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hey Ansuya!

Lovely write-up, and I could'nt agree more with u, since I live in Iowa too!!!:cheers!!! Couple of yrs. ago when we decided to move here, my family in the N/E were sympathising with us, and I was totally shaken when they promised me that I'd run away from Iowa!!! But 2 yrs. later, i am having the last laugh:rotfl, I just luv it here! People are so friendly, no pollution, one of the best schooling in the US, more relaxed life....I could just go on and on! And to top it Des Moines is rated as one of the cities to live in, in the whole of US! There is so much of family attachment here, and the locals just luv Asians! Hey! I am not moving - NJ or California, until someone uses the crane to get me out of here!

Here's to Iowa:cheers:cheers!!!

10. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi ! Ansuya,

Great reading your write up on IOWA. I really admire your approach and attitude towards the transplantation and the final setting up of your home in Iowa.You have such a positive view to offer and have made a brilliant success of living in Iowa.
    You might be wondering why I'm waxing eloquently in this vein.......that is because I've gone through similar experiences living in different continents of the world.
    We did a three year stint in Mozambique and Burma ( Mynmar today ) and received a lot of sympathy when people came to know that we were posted to those two places.Even today whenever we say our years spent in Mozambique ( next door to South Africa ofcourse!)and Burma were the most memorable ones , they look at us unconvinced ...and almost give us a "Have you gone cuckoo look!!"
    You have rightly said that the warmth of the people is unique in Iowa.The same can be said about the Mozambicans and the Burmese.Personally I feel the friends that we have in any place that we settle down is what makes for a happy life, and that is what we experienced too.Unlike big world capitals where people have no time for each other and are racing towards meeting deadlines, the lesser known places minus the glitz have more soul and there is a lot of caring and concern where friends are concerned.
    Do write more about your activities and life in Iowa