1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

bloomington IL ladies...introduce urselves

Discussion in 'Indians in Bloomington' started by aryashi, Sep 6, 2014.

1. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

Hi all Bloomington ladies..
    I m new to Bloomington...would like to make new friends here... I would appreciate if ladies of Bloomington would join this thread n discusses about our city, n guide the people who ae new to this place..
    I m arya n came tobloomington 2 months back..
    How abt U guys..

2. Anismitha

Anismitha New IL'ite

Hi aryashi,

i am smitha. I currently stay in boston. I will be moving to illinois bloomington in a month or two.where do you live in bloomington? Are there any good preschools for my 4 year old close to apartments? Please il ladies, can you help me on this.

3. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I was in Bloomington for 12 wonderful years before moving to Chicago. Small city with plenty of amenities. Wonderful Indian community. I believe the temple has just opened recently on Ireland Grove Road. I was there during the bhoomi pooja.

@Smitha - There are many pre-schools. Depends on where you will be taking an apartment. My son attended Chesterbrook Academy for a couple of years before getting into Elementary School. Just be careful about some apartment complexes. The most popular among Indians is Wingover apartments, and once there you may think you are back in India! But those apartments are quite new, and spacious.

@Arya - Where in Bloomington do you stay? I still visit the place atleast once every 2 months to meet old friends, and so that my son can hang out with his closest friend.

4. Anismitha

Anismitha New IL'ite

Hi DKI,

Thanks a lot for your response. I would definitely like to stay in an apartment with indian community as I stay in a indian community apartment in Boston. It feels good to stay with indian neighborhood. We don't feel out of place and kids too can have friends to play and spend some time together. Also what is it about apartment complexes? Any theft, robbery or any other crime?

5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

I think the following complexes are fairly good:

Wingover
    Ponds

Avoid Rainbow apts and Arbors (This name may have changed since it changed names every year or so...it is on Prospect Avenue) - These 2 complexes have in the past had many incidents. Not aimed at Indians, but street fights, drunkenness etc.

There is another area that is popular with Indians. Arcadia /Broadmoor. Very cheap compared to the ones I recommended, but the apartments are quite old.

NOW - This is not the latest information :) There could have been a new crop of apartments come up since I left the city, but I doubt it, because my friends there would have certainly updated me if such a thing had happened

6. Anismitha

Anismitha New IL'ite

Thanks so much. I will write back if I need any more info. I will look out for wingover and ponds apartment.

7. Anismitha

Anismitha New IL'ite

One more query. How are the preschools there? My son is 4 years old and born on sept 6th. He is very much attached to me. He took time to get over seperation anxiety in his preschool here. So just worried abt that. Just need a preschool with affectionate and caring teachers.

8. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

hii smitha n DKI'
    Welcome to bloomingtion smitha..
    i live in Wingover apartments... smitha i must say this is an awesome place to stay as u wil always have that india feeling here...as majority here are indians.,..
    as far as preschools i heard there are many good schools here with good envirnoment ...
    my DD just completed 2 , i too have to search after this winter.

9. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

People here are very friendly n caring as of now i never heard about theft or robbery ..so just relax..finger crossed.,

10. Anismitha

Anismitha New IL'ite