1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Best places to live on the East Coast?

Discussion in 'Indians in Massachusetts' started by shalzee, Jul 3, 2012.

1. shalzee

shalzee New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I am wondering if anyone of you could share your thoughts about life on the east coast of US. There might be a time in the near future when we consider moving from the San Francisco Bay Area over to the east coast and it makes me wonder if PA will be a good choice or maybe somewhere in NJ or even MA??

We have some family in different states (NY, PA, NJ, CT) but we want to pick out a suitable place so we are not stuck in storms every now and then or are under gray gloom in winters =( :rant.. U know!! what I am trying to say is.. Is there a city where the weather is kinda neutral..some snow, enough sunshine.. close to the city buzz and has a few Indian eateries and job opportunities in IT as well as healthcare, within a decent driving distance?

I really hope someone out there can suggest some cities where we can buy a house and start a family, and be within driving distance with the extended family I have on the east coast!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this post! Any ideas would be appreciated a lot!

Thanx!Bow

2. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Hey I used to live in CT and I moved to TX. I really miss CT. Winters are bad but if you live in stamford area (suburbs) it will be good for work/ More opportunities and Commute to NYC would be just 35 minutes.

CT is expensive but it is a very nice place to live/ good schools. Good luck.

3. shalzee

shalzee New IL'ite

Sounds good! I like the proximity to NYC :)

Thanx a ton for your prompt response!

4. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

I like PA.. I feel its the best place.. I recently moved frm PA.. I still miss tht place a lot... If i get a chance would love to move back to PA...

5. shalzee

shalzee New IL'ite

I have a cousin in PA.. we liked the place, although there aren't many nice places to eat out, are there? Thanx for your input.
    If you were to suggest a suburb in PA, which one(s) would you recommend?

6. anjanag

anjanag Platinum IL'ite

Veera

I also lived in CT for 4 years then moved to TX. I also miss CT a lotttt!

7. anjanag

anjanag Platinum IL'ite

Shalzee

If you are looking for opportunities in healthcare related jobs, CT is a good place to be. Hartford has lot of insurance companies. There is a very good Indian population, though I am not sure if it will be as good as bay area. also winters are harsh in new england area.

8. shalzee

shalzee New IL'ite

Thank you Anjanag. I agree that bayarea has the maximum number of Indians anywhere in US. I should be fine with fewer desi janta around.
    If there is anything I worry most about is the extreme weather!

9. anjanag

anjanag Platinum IL'ite

Yeah, weather will be different from bay area. Spring and fall are very beautiful!

10. smithapandith

smithapandith New IL'ite

Hi Shalzee,

I live in PA and I can give you my view about the area,

We live in a City where NJ is just an hour's drive and Philly downtown is about 40 minutes drive........(NJ has comparitively more taxes),there are quite a lot of indian restaurants(depends where you live)...........some good school districts.But from job opportunities perspective i wouldn't rate PA as high as NJ/NY/CT but you have some very good well known companies here too.

I infact go to NJ to pick my indian groceries and ofcourse when I go I don't miss the indian food and Sweets.

You have indian temples around here and Delaware is just an hour's drive south.

Overall a central place.........love it here.But what really matters is what is your priority of all the above.

Let me know if I can help you with anymore info.

Rgds,
    SS