government school or private school??? dilemma

Discussion in 'Indians in Malaysia' started by shantana, Jan 23, 2014.

1. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

friends,
    i would like to get opinion from malaysian indians in this forum. :help

five years back, 100% of us were sending our children to govt schools only. but as government change, education system had changed and now most of the parents (say 50%) are sending their children to private schools.

this trend really scaring me a lot. do i send my children to govt or to private school? my elder son will be entering primary school in 3 more years. and i believe i will need to register him a school next year.
    i was planning to send him to tamil govt school but my bil and sil who are doing fairly well will be sending their children to private school.
    BIL is doing business and earns well. SIL has only one son and her dh earns well as well. so they can definitely afford private schools for their children.

Im scared that my son will feel left out by going to tamil govt school when her cousins are going to private school.
    why i cant send my son to private school:
    1. expansive
    2. far (we are staying in banting and the nearest private school is in klang). How can a small boy travel for 1 hour alone in school bus?
    3. both of us are working. so we cant send and fetch our children and we have to rely on school buses.

now we have 2 boys, planning for 3rd one. And i dont think we can afford private school education for 3 children. but we can manage for their private higher studies.

govt schools has been our only school options for rich and poor previously. but since private schools growing and the numbers are getting increased (not to mentioned higher educational standard there), a lot parents are prefer to send their children there.

can i know what is ur opinion about this? how many are u sending ur children to private or govt school?

regards
    shantana

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister Shantana,

Sairam

Though I don't belong to Malaysia, I work on the Project - Global Education Transformation, and have a fair understanding on the industry.

GIIS in Malaysia being a private is not very expensive as compared to other International Schools but much better than government schools, but I am not sure if you would have it closer to your home.

Another option is that you can switch over your son to private school even after he completes his primary, which means you have sufficient time to work on your finances..

JMO, Thanks, May Baba guide you always.

1 person likes this.
  3. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shantana,

I work in the tertiary education sector as well, and do deal with students every single day. and also I am thinking of this whether to send my kid to govt or private school// Been asking this to all my acquaintances etc

My opinion, what I have seen so far:
    When the students reach, say 17 years approx after SPM or O-Levels or A-Levels, I really find the main difference between the Govt and private school children.
    ..ENGLISH or Communication Skills

If we could improve or inculcate this at home, then I don't find any difference in their knowledge/skills/ability.

Also, GIIS is too far, unless they have a residential programme. And I dont plan to leave my little kid in a hostel during school days/

1 person likes this.
  4. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

dear saisakthi and preethi,
    thanks u for your replies.

but preethi, i feel the differences are not only in english and communication skills. the syllabus in private school are more advance compare to govt shcool.
    And our govt are also keep on changing the education system almost every year. Even the teachers are having tough time to absorb the changes before they could transmite to the children. Now they are saying there's no UPSR or PMR and evaluations are done only through school assingments and project. This is scaring me. Can u enlighten me, is this true? And how about in secondary school, how do they choose arts or sains streams for the children?

5. preethiitech

Dear Shantana,
    just for a healthy discussion:

how come you judge private schools education is more advance?

education system is changing - i think you mean the language is changed quite so often?

Evaluation based on assignments and projects is good right? what is there to be scared off here. Actually this is the method which is used by many International Schools.

I guess, Its the students and parents' choice whether the children choose arts or science streams, based on whichever area they are comfortable with.

1 person likes this.
  6. preethiitech

@Shantana and others in Malaysia,

I am back to this question again?! But a slightly different one:

If we would choose a government school, then which do you think will be good? Tamil, Malay or chinese school?

Chinese schools are gaining popularity; but how do we guide our kids since we don't know chinese! and I am not in agreement with sending kids to tuition in standard 1~

Malay or Tamil schools?

Recently, Tamil school students gaining many awards and their interviews on TV is very inspiring..

7. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

i have come to a decision to send my first son to govt tamil school. this is because i noticed, tamil schools nowadays are more advance ( in my place) and are more ahead from malay schools. plus the teachers will more considerate and be willing to help kind.

of course chinese schools are more better and advanced but i dont wish to push my kids to chinese school just because of it. without proper coaching and guidance, im scared my kids will left behind and struggling. and it will be worse.

8. preethiitech

Yes @Shantana, you spoke my heart. I'm also inclining to a Tamil school nearby..