1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Best Place to live in NJ with Easy commute to NYC

Discussion in 'Indians in Jersey City' started by usr12, Jan 29, 2010.

1. usr12

usr12 New IL'ite

HI ILs,
    I am posting this on behalf of my firend who is planning to move to NJ from westcoast ..
    The husband and wife will be working in NY city and have 2 kids 9 yrs and 2yrs.. There are interested to stay in NJ (if possible in some Indian communities with good schools districts ).. Another major consideration they have is the commute time.. Both are in 9-6pm kind of jobs .So one of them will have to be at home by say around 6.30 pm to take care of the kids.. Can you please share the details of places that they could look for (rent or buy).. Heard of good things about schools in edison/princeton area in NJ.. Is there any fast connectivity like path or ferry services near by these cities.

Please share your views..
    Thanks In advance..

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

In NJ, considering the proximity to NYC and indian communities, Edison, Woodbridge etc are good options. Else another option is some high-rise apartments in jersey city, but rent will higher there as its very close to NYC. I'm not quite sure about the school districts, but all these places have a good number of indians. Other places to consider are Secaucus, West New York with its proximity to NYC, but I don't know much about those places.

Edison (edison station) and Woodbridge (Metropark or Woodbridge stations) have NJ Transit rail connecting directly to New York Penn station..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. punjabi1234

punjabi1234 New IL'ite

Hey, I stay in Jersey City. Commute to NYC downtown is only 12 mins from Journal square station which is only 5 mins walk to train station from my apartment. It also depends which part of the NYC will they be working. Midtown, downtown, uptown?? I agree with the other reply was sent to you by someone on looking for a high rise apt but as he said it will be expensive. But if you go to sulekha.com and look for an apt you may find something reasonable and apt of your choice. This was for a better commute to NYC. If we talk about kids i haven't heard anything good about jersey city school district but princeton and edison are good for schooling. Then parents will have to give more time on a commute as edison is about 40 mins ride to NYC downtown and princeton is even more far. Indian grocery stores and even indian people are easily found in jersey city and edison area and not too sure about princeton.

I wish them good luck.

4. usr12

usr12 New IL'ite

Thanks writeme and punjabi1234 for your inputs. I'll tell them to have a look at these places.. They will be working in NY midtown and downtown..
    By the way does edison/other near by towns have any kind of ferry services ..

Thanks again ..

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  5. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

edison is the cream of nj and blueberry apt is the best of best as it is walking distance to edison train station suppose if your husband works in city,farmers market and library are walking distance.
    A nd i live here so is special.

6. lakshmiv7

lakshmiv7 New IL'ite

Boulevard East is the best place to live in new jersey... 20 minutes travel to nyc ... buses and ferry for every 5 minutes... rents are affordable.. secured area... dont know about schools... skyline view...

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Hii all
    Kindly give more details on the same.
    We are planning to move to north jersey and is in lookout for a safe community.
    Preferred areas: around North Arlington; Newark; Jersey City etc. taking into consideration the proximity to NYC.
    Rent: 2 bedroom around/under $1300.
    Other: Having public transportation; Indian community and a library:).
    Lakshmi; can you give more info on Bouleward East; NJ.
    Thanks
    Nitha

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  8. nijo

nijo New IL'ite

hi all ,

i am looking for apartments in edison area.

have selected a few of them
    1.talmadge village
    2.durham woodse
    3.mill brook village
    4.wood bridge apartments

would like to know ur review abt these apartments...