How often would you go to restaurants?

Discussion in 'Indians in Houston' started by BelieveGod4ever, Apr 21, 2010.

1. BelieveGod4ever

BelieveGod4ever New IL'ite

Hi all :hiya
    Generally we go to restaurants once a week. :)
    I like having food at restaurant rather than having home food all the time. Just wondering how often people generally go out for dining or lunch buffet :party

2. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Oh, I like it the other way.. even if we have to go for outside food, I prefer 'to-go' than dining right there. I like to sit at home, watch some program or have personal talk and eat.. DH is like you said. :bonk
    Every other week. All the time DH initiates. :hide: Mostly we go to Thai Cuisines. Rarely Indian as at home I make all Indian right from Idli to Kali (Ragi pudding popular in rural side)

3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

we eat atleast once a week. we lika all kind of food. Thai, Ethiopian food ( similar to indian food), Chinese, Mexican, Afghan and Mddle Eastern Falafel.

We need a break form daily routine.

Like to watch people at the restaurant.

Peace Be with you.:cheers

4. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

even i like to eat in restuarants its not that i don't like my mother's but a change in environment is always liked by everyone similar way i love to go out for lunch with my family and friends!!!! mostly once in a week!!!!:thumbsup

5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Coffeelover, I agree completely about Ethiopian food being very similar to Indian food. My husband loves eating at our local Ethiopian restaurant - there is a wide variety of good, wholesome vegetarian food, some of it spicy. His favourite is the injera, which is Ethiopian bread. It reminds me of a combination of idli and dosa (although I know next to nothing about these two dishes) in that it's fermented, but cooked on a griddle, not steamed. I keep meaning to write about that here, thinking more Indian people should try Ethiopian restaurants - thanks for finally giving me that chance ;)

As for how often we eat out, as often as we feel like it. Sometimes I don't feel like cooking, or it's a Friday and we want to veg out in the front of the TV with pizza, or we're out and about and don't have time to go home and get something to eat.

We like Indian food in restaurants because it is very different to the way I cook Indian food. We love our local "greasy spoon" Greek-style restaurant that also serves Chicago-style street food, for some strange reason. The chicken souvlaki, Greek fries and tzatziki from the Greek place is wonderful, as is their Chicago-style hotdog. When we're in the mood, we also enjoy going out for Sunday brunch.

6. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Ansuya,

I used love Chicago style food when I was young. We used to eat Hotdogs. Polish sausages etc. Since I became Vegetarian ( Like born again) and older ( not old), we eat only vegetarian food. Greek food has a lot vegetarian varieties. I am glad you like Etheopian food.

Peace Be with you:thumbsup

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

There is no 'specific' routine for us to go to a restaurant but, it somehow happens that on a friday or saturday night, I tend to have had enough with cooking over the week, we just order a pizza and watch TV or a movie. That rejuvenates me to cook again:).

We are vegetarians , and so somehow find choices limited for us. Not many such restaurants around and we will have to travel to eat in such restaurants. This kind of becomes a chore for us. So, we prefer ordering a pizza.

8. BelieveGod4ever

BelieveGod4ever New IL'ite

Hello all, :)

Thanks for your responses.:clap
    I am a vegetarian too. We usually have Mexican and Chinese food.
    Thanks for letting me know about Ethiopian food, I never tried it so far.
    Saw some pictures of Ethiopian food while browsing.
    It looked yummy and somewhat like Indian food.
    Can someone tell the name of some vegetarian Ethiopian food?

9. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

I prefer hot home-cooked food even a simple dal/rasam-rice to restaurants!!

But some things like roadside panipuri, chaat have to be enjoyed outside..(I wish there was a Gangotri in Canada)

Once in a month is fine to satiate my tongue with restaurant food while in India...

But here in Canada, I hardly have complete veggie options!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  10. Mom2499

Mom2499 Senior IL'ite

We try to eat out at least once a week. Our children enjoy that we take them out to eat and we get to relax and enjoy each other's company. We all want to enjoy our time outside at the restaurant, therefore, we don't force ourselves to go if one of us is tired or too exhausted to go.