1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Help with good public schools for ASD kids

Discussion in 'Indians in Georgia' started by seemabarve, Apr 28, 2015.

1. seemabarve

seemabarve New IL'ite

Hi all, I am relocating to Atlanta. My son will be in Kindergarten from this August this year and has IEP for high functioning autism. I will be working from home, so I dont mind renting an apartment in any area which has good special education. Please suggest some good public school districts who have nice special education for elementary kids. My son is very verbal and has no academic problems, he just cant sit at one place and little hyperactive, also he needs to develop socially. So looking for community with Indians around too. Thanks!

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Seema , have you also posted this under USA parent forum ?
    That will also receive some recommendations.

3. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As for Indian communities, its a large group in Atlanta. We have lots in Decatur, Marietta, Lawrenceville, Alpharetta, JohnsCreek, Cumming, etc.

Lots of temples in atlanta too. So you have the option of meeting others and participating in local events.

if their of these areas work for you pick and check for houses here.

4. seemabarve

seemabarve New IL'ite

thanks Ranchu for your reply. will post under USA parent forum.

5. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Seems,
    Tagging @swetahasri and @laks09.
    They can provide valuable suggestions.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@seemabarve - I have no idea about GA but most schools where I live try to short change services for HFA kids, especially if they are on par academically and are verbal. After my son was diagnosed, I had a hard time getting an IEP because according to the district, he was functioning at his age level. He just got two 30 mins sessions of speech and then regular school. My son is actually two years below his peer level according to the doctor's testing. He is academically above par but all his other skills were lacking, including cognitive. I finally gave up on the district. He isnt yet KG age so I put him in a private pre school for just two days a week and put him in ABA therapy full time. He is gaining more from there than he would have ever got from PS. His hyperactivity is coming down and his speech is slowly picking up.
    I am leaning towards home schooling him once he gets to the KG age. I'm done fighting with the district for services.

If you are doing the PS, I suggest you find a good ASD parent group in Atlanta. Parents are your best guides to the school systems. You will have to redo your ARD meeting and IEP in the new district. They may want to do things their way. Just make them stick to your current IEP goals. Facebook has a lot of secret and closed parent groups local to cities. Try searching up on those. If you already are in a group ask there. Someone may know a group in Atlanta. Lots of people move around and you may have someone in your group who was in Atlanta earlier.

2 people like this.
  7. seemabarve

seemabarve New IL'ite

Thank you laks09 for your reply! i will check with ASD parent group in Atlanta. I also had a hard time getting IEP. I was behind the school since my child was enrolled but they just kept on postponing saying he is fine. Finally after doctors certificate about ASD, they took us seriously. We have only got 20 minutes of OT thrice a week, nothing more. I am hoping for more services from elementary school!