1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Coming to Florida : Dress, Packing tips pls

Discussion in 'Indians in Florida' started by ananyas12, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ananyas12

ananyas12 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I am frm Chennai coming to florida on January 2009. What all useful things I have to pack ? Howz the climate there during january? How to dress-up while travelling? I never travelled outside chennai itself, kindly tell me whether we have to wear any warm cloths and I am travelling with a 4 yr old kid.
    I have heard abt bringing a 110 v mixie frm here, whats ur opinion , ladies?
    Pls help me

thanks
    Ananya

2. kalaisiva

kalaisiva Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Nice to hear you are coming to Florida. Wecu to US.
    I am Kalai I am in Bayarea, California and Moving to Florida this week end to West Palm Beach.
    Please have a look at the weather there
    January Weather

Average Temperatures

• Daytona Bch: High 70°-Low 47°
    • Fort Myers: High 75°-Low 54°
    • Jacksonville: High 64°-Low 42°
    • Key West: High 75°-Low 65°
    • Miami: High 73°-Low 63°
    Generally it says it is not so cold as Chicago but bit lesser than India. So be prepared having a little bit better warm clothing and carefully for the kid.
    You can have plenty clothing here so just take only few western types and take some Indian traditional wear if u go for much parties here.
    Mixie u mentioned is good..I am having just Preeti chev which is really good for all grinding specially idly rice too.
    Please dont forget to take medicines whatever good for u n ur kids sometimes sumppl will be good for the Indian Medicines which they get used to.
    Then all other essential stuffs for u n ur kids. Almost all things you can get overhere n the groceries here are selling mostly everything we use in India

Have a nice trip to US.

3. kalaisiva

kalaisiva Senior IL'ite

Orlando: High 72°-Low 50°
    Panama City: High 62°-Low 39°
    Pensacola: High 61°-Low 43°
    Tallahassee: High 64°-Low 40°
    Tampa: High 70°-Low 52°
    West Palm Bch: High 75°-Low 57°

4. ananyas12

ananyas12 New IL'ite

Thks a lot kalai for ur valuable advice.

ananya

5. Kutty_80

Kutty_80 Senior IL'ite

hi ananyas12

welcome to florida..
    i m Gowri ..i also staying in florida coming from coimbatore,tamilnadu
    which part of florida u r coming ?
    we are in jacksonville
    actually we recently moved from jersey city which is very very cold u cant bear that in this peek time. But here in florida u will surely enjoy this climate it is moreover like banglore climate only ...
    minimum degree is 4 or 5 degree celcius..that is also only these 2 months

ya..preethi mixie is very very helpful ..i didnt take from india and i suffered a lot... now only i bought it from my friend..

and u should bring all medicines for ur kid. and vaccination card is very very important here. u should bring that without fail.

you can just wear jeans + loose t-shirt with one winter jacket is comfortable.. if u not used to that then u can use salwar ..
    but for kid u should wear pant with winter jacket..

dont afraid ..here not very cold..but there will..because for chennaipeople it is very cold...

just update once u come and settle here

Gowri

6. ananyas12

ananyas12 New IL'ite

Thank u Gowri...
    I have one doubt..will the customs people make any prob for bringing a mixie and a coconut scrpr?

ananya

7. Parvat

Parvat New IL'ite

Hi,
    Northern parts are usually 12to15 degrees colder,South Florida is very similar to India in being hot,generally florida is quite humid year round,mornings between 4to6 am can be chilly.You can bring cardigans,nice short jackets and when you get here you can get the rest.
    You can pack the cocunut scraper and mixie inside the checked in luggage and if asked say .they are used and for your personal use.
    Good luck.
    Parvat

8. Kutty_80

Kutty_80 Senior IL'ite

hi

as per parvat said u can pack mixie+cocunt scraper in check-in-luggage , it is allowable. i think they wont ask if they.. then u can say like parvat told. no pblm. but in hand- luggage no liquids above 50 ml is not allowed
    only 50 ml bottle is allowed. so be prepare for kid's food. they dont allow milk bottle ..so feed him in airport after that u can take some biscuits,snacks..
    dont forget to take some cold,cough and fever medicine (only 50 ml) in hand-baggage..
    i got a problem when i first came here ..my daughter was crying a lot when landing..because of ear-pain usually everyone have some irritation or pain because of pressure...
    but that time she had cold so .be aware of this..
    give some hot water if ur kid cry

Gowri

9. ananyas12

ananyas12 New IL'ite

thnx everybody..I wll keep all this in mind. Your suggestions helped me a lot to make the travel plan.

bye for now n tnks again

ananya