Suggestions Required

Discussion in 'Indians in Doha' started by happy_feet, Jan 11, 2014.

1. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

Hi all ILs in Qatar,I need all your help. My husband has been offered a job in Doha in Qatar Airways in IT manager line, in grade 8. We are planning to move there around April 2014. We have a daughter who will go to KG1 in coming academic year. Housing will be provided by Qatar Airways.Now my doubts areDoes any one of you have any idea what kind of housing and the locality that is provided to someone in grade 8 in QAR ??The school allowance (i.e. we have to show bills) is upto 90,000 riyal per year. Hence any suggestions for schools?? We are looking for schools with lots of facilities and extra curricular activities.The cargo allowance is 350kg. So please advice what all should I pack from India and take (they will give a fully furnished house, although no idea what all will be there).Apart from the above doubts if any of you feel that there are some other helpful suggestions for me then please provide them. Thank you all in advance and I hope I will meet some of you in Doha one day .Thanks.

2. Shylajasanthosh

Shylajasanthosh Silver IL'ite

Hey...
    Welcome!
    Qatar airways provides decent housing facility. A fully furnished house will have all the furniture, microwave, fridge, TV, a/c and washing machine.
    And about packing, you get most of the stuff here.India is jus a Lil bit cheaper, u cld bring some utensils, stuff for ur kid, other household items if u still have weight to b filled :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Shylajasanthosh

Shylajasanthosh Silver IL'ite

Also, there are a few Indian schools where u cld apply for admission once ur daughters residence permit is done. As per my understanding, all the admissions start getting filled by march. So please chk with the employer if they can help u with the admissions in any way.the moms on IL will be able to help u better on this.

4. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Welcome here...

As Shylaja said, Qatar Airways provide you a fully furnished accommodation. Furnished houses here will not have griner and mixie. Since you have Cargo allowance you could get them from India.

And, you can get all spices and other stuff here like in India. I normally get them from India and also the masala powders since I don't buy Chilli and corriander powder from shops.

And, regarding school admissions, its really getting tough here. Admissions are almost closed in most of the reputed Indian schools for the April session of next academic year (2014 - 2015). And, they admit children in the middle of a session based on the seats available.

5. happy_feet

happy_feet New IL'ite

Hi Shylaja and Madhu,

Thanks a ton for your replies and suggestions.

Madhu one small doubt, do they have other detail things in the house like curtains, doormats, table cloths etc and in kitchen do they have cutlery, crockery, cooking utensils, chopping board etc?? And yes any ideas on location of these houses/apartments??

Shylaja, you had mentioned that after my daughter gets her rp only, we can admit her in any school. Do all Indian schools asks for rps??

Another doubt is my daughter will be 4yrs in Aug 2014. So shall we apply for kg1 or nursery?? In India she is already now in nursery. And which are some of the best Indian schools in doha?? We are mostly looking for lot of extracurricular activities along with studies.

Do anyone of you have any idea that Indian kids going to british or American schools?? As the school allowance is quite generous, I think we can consider this option also but my main concern is if in these schools there will be no Indians, then my daughter may feel like an outsider or different from her classmates.

All your suggestions and inputs will help us a lot. So please give them.

Thanks.

6. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

The houses will have curtains and doormats. Table cloths, I am not quite sure. All those stuff you can get it here, if it is not there.

Cooking utensils & chopping board, you need to get them. They may have a very little cutlery & crockery. Its better that you get all these things.

And yes, you can put your daughter in KG1, since the new rule for admission states that the child should have completed 3 years for KG1 admission. There is a discussion thread regarding the Indian schools here. You can go through that - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-qatar/238443-indian-schools-in-qatar-2014-a.html

Yes, there are Indians studying in British or American schools. You personally have to decide about it after visiting the schools. I heard good reviews about the Cambridge International Kindergarten that follows British curriculum.