1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Good South Indian preferably Brahmin caterer in NW suburbs

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by radichat, Feb 5, 2010.

1. radichat

radichat New IL'ite

Hello,

I am having my Seemantham in April and we were hoping to have the function in our home in Wauconda (Lake County). My mother-in-law would prefer to have the food catered only by a South Indian Brahmin cook. Does anyone know of someone who does that in the NW suburbs?

Also, if you know of a good freelance South Indian sastrigal (priest), please let me know.

Thank you for your help! :)

-Radhika

2. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi radhika,

ocngrats for your motherhood. u can check in the shivan sannidhi in the lemont rama temple ot the aurora temple for the sastrigal. mine was done by sundaresa kurukkal who was working in the rama temple sivan sannidhi. u can also check for the cook with the same sastrigal to whom u approach, they must be knowing. if u happen to get the thendral book (u can find in most of the temples and restaurants as a free copy) they give contacts of many sasthrigal who perform all these functions.

the last option would be the vegeterian restraunt (not a brahmin) shree restraunt in downers grove.

3. sujafriendlover

sujafriendlover New IL'ite

Hi Radhika,
    Congratulations.
    My seemantham was performed by Sundaresa gurukkal and i wasnt very pleased or satisfied.But my daughters punyavachanam was performed by M vaidyanatha Sastrigal and i was more than satisfied.He is a very knowledgable person.His number is 847-874-7765 if you would like to give it a shot.
    Also there is a catering in aurora which we used for seemantham. i guess they are iyengars called Sri Krishna Catering. Their number is (630) 548-2100 and the website is Sri Krishna Caterers Inc - Home.
    Hope i was of some help.

SUJA

4. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Congratulations Suja. Glad to know your seemantham went off very well. All the very best for your delivery..!

5. aks_1985

aks_1985 Senior IL'ite

Thank you suja for giving me the sri krishna caterers website ,this weekend will be my son's second birthday and we were searching some caterers ..

akshata

6. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations.

Murali ( Sri Krishna) food is excellent. I viist my family in Chicago. His idlis are very good. Puliyoudrai is very good too. Very Trust worthy.

Have a great function. :coffee

7. sujafriendlover

sujafriendlover New IL'ite

U r very welcome Akshata.. Glad to know i was of help..

8. Solemn

Solemn New IL'ite

Hi,

I am telugu brahmin Vaidki and am in my 6th month of pregnancy.Could you please let me know as to when can we perform the baby shower or sreemantham.I asked my mother and she said that we perform only in the 5th and 9th months and never in the 7th month.

Me and my husband had actually planned for the ceremony in the 7th month but after what my Mom told me I want to do it in the 9th month when she comes to US.When I conveyed this to my husband who probably discussed it with his mother and younger sisters,my DH compelled me to talk to his mother saying that I should be following what his mother is saying.But when I asked my MIL she says that they do it only in the 7th month and says that there is no alternative.We are telugu vadiki brahmins and I want to know which is right--in which months the sreemantham can be performed?

Since my Mom said that it is not good to perform the sreemantham in the 7th month I am afraid to do it.I think this is a plot on my in-laws side to do opposite to what my mother has suggested just to show me that I should follow what they say inspite of it being wrong.My MIL says that it is performed in the 7th month and in the 9th month they do the Jada kuttchukovatam--which means they braid the hair and fill it with flowers from top to bottom.I am having a tough time andam being harassed by my sister-in-laws who keep calling my DH who them prompts to talk to his mom about this so that I am in a position not to deny her.I am so vexed that I am planning to cancel the whole thing.

Please let me know the months the sreemantham ceremony for telugu brahmins is performed as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Solemn

9. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi ,

tamil brahmins do it in even number of months like 4 or 6 or 8. i thought it is all same for the brahmins. follow what ever your inlaws say, their cutom might be diff from your moms place it happens in some families.

10. Mullapudi

Mullapudi Junior IL'ite

Hi solemn,

This is some typical situation. Even I'm a Telugu vaidika Brahmin.
    As I was told that when ur married u take their gotram, their customs. So it is upto u & ur DH to discuss and follow tradition.

My seemantham was performed in 7th month..& now my mother does a baby shower again in 9th month. As ur mother has perform ceremony . So have both . Don't worry. Rituals are performed for baby's health & prosperity.