1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

moving from India to Chicago in midseptember. ur help is needed as am highly confused

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by parulv, Aug 11, 2011.

1. parulv

parulv New IL'ite

hi everyone..

we will be moving to chicago from india in mid september..my husband's office is in lake forest, i had a few questions in mind , i hope to get answers here.
    1. which are good preschools near lake forest. my son is 4.5years, will it be easy to get admission in a good school in october (as term starts in september).
    2. can anybody suggest some good 2 bhk apartment(with some indians around) near lake forest (what would be the approximate rent there?)..
    3. where can we buy furniture etc (not very costly though)

please answer asap..i would really appreciate your help.

2. divyadiyer

divyadiyer Junior IL'ite

Re: moving from India to Chicago in midseptember. ur help is needed as am highly conf

hey ,
    welcome to windy city... i Live in waukegan, IL very close to Lake Forest.. to rent a house in LF is unbeliveable,'coz LF is one of the richest place in America.. Waukegan is afforable., commuting is also very easy to LF, there are very good preschools in LF and Lake bluff area.. u can enroll ur kid in preschool immedietly u checked in to chicago.. i can send u list of preschools if u want..though they are expensive it is worth sending them to that place i guess[this i the feedback from my friend]
    2.if u are looking for good school district for ur son for nxt year staying in Lake bluff area is good, averagly for 2 BHK u need to pay $1200[october is best time to move so u can negotiate in leasing office] ..there is also an community [fountain square of lakehurst and elmhurst]very cheaper than this which is little far away from LF[but school district is not that good i guess]..
    but u wil c plenty of indians in that community..check the list of apartments in website like rent.com,apartment search.com..
    (1) Forest pointe (2) Deer valley --these two come under oak grove school district close to LF
    (1) Landing--this come under Gurnee school district ,plenty of INdians and good community to live with, but li'l expensive
    (1) Lakehurst (2) Elmhurst-- comes under wooland school district, waukegan, very cheap rent,plenty of Indians

(3) to buy stuffs there is website caled sulekha.com and craiglist.com where u can get all the used stuff for reasonable price.. if u need new stuffs better check for good deals in the website..

HTH

any doubt i wil help me

3. parulv

parulv New IL'ite

Re: moving from India to Chicago in midseptember. ur help is needed as am highly conf

hey divya, thanx a ton for replying. please provide the list of preschools as well..the good school is the first criteria, we will rent the house accordingly.

4. divyadiyer

divyadiyer Junior IL'ite

sorry for the late rep..
    Regarding preschool it is always better to choose nearby to ur house or to ur husband's work place.. usually here preschools wil be for half a day., u can choose for full days but fees wil be high..
    schools near my area {forest pointe, deer valley apartment} which is close to LF is
    Little scouts{LF},Lake forest./lake bluff park district preschools, lake forest country day school, lake forest tots,Deerhaven preschool,Goddard preschool, kindercare preschool, there is a school in Libertyville area which is in reasonable distance from my place but sorry i dont rem the name, and there are plenty of daycares offering pre-K education u can choose good daycare and enroll ur kid for Pre-K and finish the graduation.. nywyas he can enroll in the public school only from nxt year sep,till that time u need to send him to preschool for his Pre-K education.. jus come here and u wil get more ideas abt the schools, house and other stuffs... make sure u need to pick up and drop ur kid from the school untill he enteres public school, so plan accordingly..

5. moving2011

moving2011 New IL'ite

Hello - I can't answer your school questions, but I am moving in October and have two dressers for sale. They are solid cherry wood, from early 1990s or late 1980s, Colonial style, very handsome and well made. I can send you the link to my Craigslist postings if you are interested. But if you really need super cheap things, there's always IKEA in Schaumburg...though they won't last and you have to pick up at the store and assemble yourself. Good luck with your move and welcome to the US!!! ;-)