1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Waukegan, IL - Need your help Friends!!!!

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by Priya85, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Priya85

Priya85 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I m Anu Priya from chennai n m new to IL forum. I'm moving into Waukegan, IL in few weeks due to my hubby's job. We want to rent Apartments where our Indian community live. I would like to get some advice about the good, secure Apartments & Indian grocery shops in that location.

Also, i m expecting my first baby due in Jan. I need to consult a doctor for check ups and scans. Please guide me about the good hospitals and docs near the area.

Anybody from Waukegan/nearby places, please give ur suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Anu

2. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anu,
    I used to live in Elmhurst apmts in Waukegan. There is 2 more apmt complex in Waukegan.Lakehurst and something else(forgot the name) which is a gated community. But all were good. Elmhurst,lakehurst -lots of Indians. and its less pricey.
    Or you can check apmts in Gurnee which is really good and neighbourhood is also good.
    Check apartment.com, rent.com you can see pictures of the apmts.
    Reg Dr I am not sure as i didnt consult any gyn while I was there.
    My friends are still there and I can check with them and let you know if you need more information.
    Thanks
    Sri

3. Priya85

Priya85 New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Sri :) for your response n info. I was waiting eagerly for replies.

Actually I m a bit worried, scared n confused after reading the bad apartment/neiborhood reviews from some of the websites. Are you not living in Waukegan now? Please tell me about the neighborhood. Does it have lot of our Indians? what about groceries n stuff? Pls let me know the apartments where our Indian community is more n also safe.
    Regarding hospital, I have two hospitals in the list 1) Vista 2) Lake Forest.

Missed to ask abt apt thing. My DH have chosen few apts after reading the apt reviews from apartmentratings/reviews site namely:- 1. Imperial towers 2. Chateau royale 3. Grandville court 4. Madison 5. Fox crest. Does these apts have our Indian communities? Are you aware of these apts?

Thanks once again Sri :)..

Friendly
    Anu

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  4. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

Anu,

I am not sure about these apartments you have mentioned. Are they in Waukegan? Don't go to the other side of the Waukegan were there are lots of African americans and the community is not safe.Yes Waukegan is not a safe neighbourhood.
    Only the 3 apmts near Abbott Labs are safer and has above 50% Indian population. Those are Elmhurst , Lakehurst and one more I forgot the name.
    These 3 apmts are in commercial area so its safe to live in these 3 apmts even though the rent is bit high compared to other apmts in Waukegan.

Regarding the grocery stores- there is walmart right across the Elmhurst apmt which is like 10 mins walk. You can see Walmart from your apmt. Here you get all everyday grocery like milk,veggies etc.For Indian grocery there is one Indian stores which is like 2 miles from Elmhurst and you can buy all Indian groceries there.But this doesnt have any Indian vegetables. We used to go to a mexican grocery stores Lewis to get all Indian vegetables.Just google search for Lewis in Waukegan and you will get the address and direction.

No I moved out of Waukegan around Dec 2008. But my friends are still in Elmhurst and Lakehurst apmts. If you need any help I can contact them and let you know.

Thanks
    Sri

5. Priya85

Priya85 New IL'ite

Thanks for the info Sri :).

Now, I m at ease. Actually my DH browsed about the apts in websites based on the reviews n got a list of the above mentioned. They all are in waukegan only. Anyways we ll look out for lakehurst n elmhurst apts. Good that walmart is nearby. I shall also check out the Mexican grocery in lewis. Feeling much better now after ur reply, Sri. Thank you soo much.:)

I shall contact you if i need any info. How can i contact you? shall i give my email id Sri?
    Are you tamilian?

Friendly
    Anu

6. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

Glad I was able to help.
    Are you in PA? your profile says you are in Pensylvannia.Yes I am Tamilian and live in Pensylvannia now.We can't exchange email id or personal info here. We can do it only thru paid membership to initiate private messages.

7. vidu24

vidu24 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anu
    I used to live in Gurnee,IL. Indian community in gurnee and waukegan are good. But be careful about choosing the apartment. African American community is also high in waukegan. I would recommend apartment in gurnee which is not very far from waukegan. Gurnee has good indian community compared to waukegan. I dont know about the hospitals in waukegan. Hope this information will be useful. Take care and enjoy Illinois.

8. Priya85

Priya85 New IL'ite

Yeah sri. I m in Hatfield, PA. Which place r u in?

Thanks for the info vidu :). I shall consider your advise too.

Friendly
    Anu

9. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

I live near Philly.
    Good luck with your decisions.

10. Priya85

Priya85 New IL'ite