1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need info abt good Indian grocery store in Edmonton

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by depma, Nov 30, 2009.

1. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hello Grace

Hope you are doing good. Its been a while since I logged in to the forum. Had been to India for 2 months, just got back. I wanted to skip the winter for sometime although I would say chennai was horrible weatherwise.I missed Edmonton weather for sure! Its really nice around here now and hope it continues to be like this for atleast 3 more months.

How have u been?My stuff arrived last week of Dec and am almost settled. Yes, I live very close to the sai baba mandir, just minutes away.My son is 3 yrs old now.. have to search for a good school soon.Hope ur kids are doing good.

Please stay in touch.
    Regards

Deepa

2. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Deepa,

So enjoyed a nice kutti vacation to Chennai ! And back in time to enjoy the lovely summer here :)
    How much of Chennai has changed since your last trip ? You know I haven't been to Chennai for over 11 years now :( Guess I wouldn't recognise even my street/ neighborhood :biglaugh

We are OK, just pretty busy lately.

Yeah the weather will be much warmer now and the parks / lakes are going to get pretty crowded. Don't miss the River Valley parks & hiking trails.. awesome views. Nearly everyone we know is going camping ; few of my neighbours already have their RVs all readied in their yard :)

I assume you are going to enrol your son in pre-school right . If you've not decided & need some info. just let me know. I can enquire from my kid's classmates mothers & suggest the good ones in this area.

Have a lovely day Deepa .

Bye,
    Grace.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  3. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hello Grace
    Nice to hear from u! I just enrolled my son in a Montessori school nearby. I didn't know that the admissions to public playschools were already over.And they've already closed for the summer. I did register in the Ermineskin community playschool but they have a waitlist, not sure if my son will get in. There are no other schools nearby.. within 5 km range. I dont want to drive farther than that to drop him.There's also one school in Duggan community but thats full as well.It would be nice if u can provide me some info abt schools nearby. I guess private schools are quite expensive and run full time.. mon thro fri. My son has never been to school/ daycare before, this will be his first time so I think it will be a little hard for him to
    adjust. I didnt want to waste any time till september so registered him in montessori for 2 months. Please let me know if u have any info.
    Thanks ! Have a great day!
    Deepa

4. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hi Grace

Btw, Chennai has changed Big time. U will definitely be shocked to see it now. Not the usual quiet city anymore. U get to see buildings and more buildings everywhere. Roads are much better and wider.There are about a dozen multiplex and Malls..11 years is a long time Grace... And dont be surprised if u see Idli and Dosa as gourmet menu items in little fancy restaurants!!:)

Deepa

5. satty

satty New IL'ite

hi Grace and Deepa,

I'm new to this forum and will be moving to edmonton from boston very soon. i too have a 3 year old boy and would really benefit from any information regarding preschools and apartments in edmonton. hope to hear from you all soon.

thanks
    satty

6. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hi Satty
    Good to know that another fellow indian is coming here to Edmonton. I moved here abt 6 months back.Pls look for apartments ONLY in the SW/SE part of Edmonton.Other areas are not safe at all. The Millwoods area in the south is lively and vibrant and has lot of indians..Avoid the north and downtown areas.

There are public schools in every community,but i guess ur son is still young for kindergarten. As far as I know there aren't many playschoos/ preschools here or at least u cant be sure that there will be one near your apartment area. I had to do a lot of research to get my son into preschool.When r u plannig to come here since admissions are already over for the academic year.

Let me know if u need any other details, glad to help.

Deepa

7. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hi Grace

Long time.. how have u been? Have u moved out of Edmonton?

Deepa

8. SrideviSuriya

SrideviSuriya New IL'ite

Hi Deepa & Grace,
    Am Sridevi from madurai, chennai, Currently am staying in Montreal shortly we are coming to Edmonton as my husband got job there. Actually he is searching apts in southwest and millwoods, I went all through ur posts and its very helpfull for the people like me. Thanks for ur information.(Indian Grocery stores and abt winter)

And also i need ur help to find schools and day care since am having two kids, boys 6 & 2 yrs old. How is the admission procedure there? If i have any doubt ask u later.

Am also very happy that u both r from Chennai.

I want to be in touch. So pls reply to my post.
    Thanks Dear ones.

Regards,
    Sridevi Suriya.

9. depma

depma New IL'ite

Hello Sridevi

Good to know that u are coming to Edmonton. As mentioned, I recommend SW and Millwoods area for apartments. Its fairly new and well organised compared to other areas.

As for school, I guess ur elder kid is ready for grade 1 but admissions here are over but u can always try. They might consider ur case since u will be a new resident.There are daycare centres everyhwere so thats no problem.

Let me know if u need any other info, glad to help.And ofourse we can stay in touch.

Bye
    Deepa

10. SrideviSuriya

SrideviSuriya New IL'ite

Hi,
    Thanks for ur quick response. Just yesterday my DH booked a siute in 104 st, we will be coming in sept 1st week. How's the age limit calculated there i.e. my elder son was born in oct 23 2004, so will he be eligible for grade I or kindergarden, am just confused some say he'll be in Grade I and others in Kindergarden, if u know abt the age limit pls share.
    Thanks,
    Sridevi Suriya.