1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Where to live in Calgary and Edmonton?

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by akpreets, Jan 13, 2009.

1. akpreets

akpreets New IL'ite

Hi to all the Ladies in Calgary and Edmonton,

We are currently living in the US and are in the process of migrating to Canada. We have just started our PR process and could take about a year before we could move. In the meantime, I have been looking at various boards trying to find out where to live? We might be settling down in either Calgary or Edmonton, depending on my husband's job.

We have 2 kids -- 6 year old and 2 year old. So a good school is in my top priority, just like all of us Indians. My son is currently in Kindergarten in the US, so I hope he will not find education very much different in Canada.

Initially we plan to take an apartment for about a year or so and then buy a house. So can somebody suggest some good areas to live in and around these 2 cities. Apartments need to be kid friendly, as they both love to run all around the house. Apartment should be assigned to good schools. My husband is willing to travel for upto about 45 mins each way.

Thanks in advance and wish you all a happy new year!

2. kans

kans New IL'ite

Hi akpreets,
    Nice to meet u:)...Iam also from NC..we r also planning to move Canada...Did u get any information???? Have u started to process ur immigration?????We r yet to start..
    So do u know how long does the new immigration process takes?????
    I posted a thread few days ago but no one replied....I dont know whether more indians r there in alberta or notRant
    Better we will be in contact akpreets:cheers

3. akpreets

akpreets New IL'ite

Hi Kans,

I heard from friends and family that the NW & SW quadrants are safe to live. We have applied to AINP for their H1-SRS PNP. I guess the whole process is going to take more than a year even as of now. Hopefully we should be able to go there in next june atleast!!!!

I have visited Calgary about 2 years back (H1 stamping) and there were plenty of Indians and Indian restaurants too. India is known as East India in Canada (in US we are known as Asian Indians). But we felt homely during our visit. It was cold even in June when we visited.

Anyway, ATB for your application. Let me know if you need any help. I dont visit this forum regularly...

4. kans

kans New IL'ite

hi akpreets,
    thxx for ur reply...sure if i need any help will contact u:thumbsup...
    my hus H1 is going 2 finish by next april...
    i dont know whether we will get approval for canada before that..
    hope for good thing:hide:

5. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi akpreets and kans,

We moved to Alberta [from Montreal] about 5 months ago. Initially had planned on Calgary as job opportunities are more but cost of living is also much higher -- esp. housing. Then settled on Edmonton as we prefer the nice, quiet city compared to the trendy, high-end cosmopolitan and fast-paced Calgary.

Calgary -- I've never been there, just sharing info. I got from net, when we were planning our move.
    N.W. is very good area -- good schools, univ. , so most expensive too.
    S.W. is equally good but commuting to center of city may be cumbersome as good homes are little further down south.
    The Eastern part of the city is semi-industrial regions ; the S.E. is slightly better than N.E. though which is known for crime.

Edmonton -- The areas North of Central Edmonton are a big NO !! More crime, mostly Catholic or French immersion schools as population has more French/Canadians.
    Central Edmonton in the downtown/business region. Only suitable for singles, students -- certainly not for family living.
    The Westend [ below the central region, in the southern part of Edmonton] has good scenery, River valley views, closer to downtown etc. but traffic becomes an issue in peak time.

A majority of Asians [ Indian/Pakistani/Chinese/Fillipinos] and Westindians prefer the Southern region of Edmonton . The South has Indian stores, restaurants, temples etc. The South East area , rents are cheaper, communities are older & yes petty crime [like breaking car windows ] is supposedly more than the South West .The South West is a very good option which has relatively better communities and more expensive too !

Don't worry about schooling, as every community has access to good schools & the overall quality of education is very good. If you live in that community, you will be automatically eligible for a school of your choice within that community. There are also some very good schools which accept kids from other communities too -- but demand will be high so tough to get seats. Also travel time for children will be long , if going to attend school outside your community.
    Once you arrive here & decide on the neighbourhood then you can personally visit the schools , speak to the teachers & register your kid, no problem.

Any other info. / query , do not hesitate to ask me dearies... will help out as much as I know .

Wish you gals the best of luck and see you soon in Canada !! :-D

Bye.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  6. kans

kans New IL'ite

hi grace,
    thxx for ur information...sure will get ur help after we reach there:hiya

7. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

hi Grace
    I am a single east indian female looking to move to edmonton, where would the safest place be for me to rent/ buy a condo, what are job prospects like , I do have a 4 year degree, thanks

8. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Peeks,

I've replied to your query in the thread you started, 'East Indian female moving to Edmonton . ' Looks like you're not decided whether Edmonton or Calgary :)

9. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

hi Grace,

I am edging more toward Edmonton right now as that is where I have seen more jobs .

thanks, I read the other thread and responded...
    appreciate all your guidance on this

10. mbhatt

mbhatt New IL'ite

Hi to all,

My Dh had applied under AINP and last week we got our passport request.Next year, we are planning to move but in which city, it is not yet decided. My Dh have visited to edmonton last month ..he liked this city. We will come for visa stamping in feb or march, At that time we are planning to visit Calgary and Edmonton both so we can decide where to live? it's our planning but not sure...let's see how it works.
    We heard that Calgary is also a very beautiful place but as Grace mentioned it's standard of living is very high.

I have 2 school going kids (elementary and middle)so we are more concerned for schools and good locality with presence of Indians.

Grace, I have read your replies which you gave to depma.

Thanks for sharing the info...it will really help us.

Grace,in which part are you living? SW or SE? If possible, mention about the community with good schools.

Mona

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009