1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai -----> Toronto in Jan with kids: Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by vidskris, Dec 18, 2014.

1. vidskris

vidskris New IL'ite

Hello lovely ladies,
    Good Morning! My DH has got an opportunity to work in Toronto. Our visa process is about to begin (we still have a week to decide if we want to go). I would like to understand certain things before we make a decision. I really hope some of u spare your time and reply to my queries. Thanks in advance!! :)

1. TIMING: If things work out well, my husband should report in January. I see it will be ultra cold there. We have 2 kids aged 2 and 4. Is it a good idea to move along with my kids in Jan? Will they be able to manage? Or shall I wait till April to join him?
    I would prefer flying with my husband, as my sons miss him a lot already (he is working from another city) and also feel i wont be able to manage the travel alone(with 2 kids) if i am going to come later.
    2. MEDICAL FACILITIES: I think some kind of health card/insurance is necessary to visit the doctors. So, incase i move in January itself and God forbid, i have to visit the doctor in case my children get sick, will I be able to consult?
    3. FINANCIALS : My husband is expected to get a pay of around 4500-5000 Canadian dollars. (after tax) . Will that be sufficient to run a family comfortably and also save to some extent? Some expense range I would like to know are :
    Schooling
    Insurance (any monthly payments are there?)
    Daycare (in case i may need for my younger one)
    Medical costs
    Commuting
    4. SCHOOLS/DAYCARE: I have read most public schools are good and are free. Please reaffirm - How is the day care facilities there?
    5. AREA TO STAY: My husbands work place is in wellington st west. Which would be the closest and affordable places to stay that offer ease of commuting , good schools etc - i am flexible in this - as in even if this is a little costlier, i want to be in a place where my husband can home home a little faster ?
    Should like look for apartments with amenities like swimming/play area etc. (given its cold there most of the year- will we be able to use these facilities?) or individual houses are better? may apartment ads have "hydro" extra written - whats this?
    6. JOB HUNT : Lastly I would like to know how is the job market there? I am an MBA with around 3 yrs experience. How difficult is it to get a job there? Should i starting looking for jobs through agencies in Canada? How to go about it?

I think i have asked too many questions. I really hope some of you answer and I am sure these questions will help others looking for similar info too..
    thanks a lot in advance!

2. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Vidskris,
    if u can manage your kids,then better come in April.i know kids who arrived here in winter got depressed. May be if your kid goes to school,then it should be ok.you can check library programs for your younger kid.

you need to get health card for any treatment.if your husband coming here through his employer,then he should be having insurance meanwhile u apply for health card.its better to get some basic medications for fever,cold,cough from India.But don't use them more than 2 days.

Depends on your lifestyle so may not able to say whether 5000$ is good enough for you.normally it should be sufficient.

public schools are free.

if you have a vehicle,then u should be paying insurance for that.you may need to pay for health insurance

As per my knowledge,daycares are costly.
    You don't need to pay your medical checkups/tests, if u have health card.but u should pay for over the counter medicines.

fares are expensive both bus and subway.

you may look for apartments in davisville,sherbourne and other downtown areas.but these are expensive ranging anywhere from 1500$.
    hydro is nothing but electricity.apart from rent you need to pay for the electricity.
    apartments with all those amenities are called Condos.these are expensive.
    apartments or condos in downtown area is expensive.

i have 6yrs it exp back in India,but not working here also not planning soon.So no idea on job market

hope I have tried to answer all your questions.

Ankia likes this.