1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bay area ladies meet here

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by Shal, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hello Gals,

Am back from my vacation. Looks like you all had a good long weekend break. Shal, if you have been to any other amusement park like 6 flags or disneys CA adventure, then Great America will be the same. Most rides are simillar. Few are unique to each park. But if you like roller coasters and etc.... then go for it!

Vandhana

2. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

17 mile drive

hi gals

this weekend we had been to 17 mile drive. Its about 2 hrs from San Jose. Its a beautiful drive along the beach. Ensure to start early and spend the early afternoon at the beach. We left our house by 12.00 and due to heavy traffic reached there by 3.30 only. It was very foggy so could not enjoy in the beach for long. But planning to visit again.

On the way to 17 mile drive, if you happen to cross Monterey Farms - do pick up the veggies. They were very very cheap and fresh too.

cheers
    hopefloats

3. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

the 17 mile drive :- another Scenic route!!!

Hi hopefloats,

I agree that the 17 mile drive is indeed a nice drive that takes u along the various beaches ensuring that you have nice glimpses of the beauties of nature! I am getting poetic here bcz that was my reaction when we stopped at scenic points there to capture the splendor in our cameras!

We went there last december during christmas/new year holidays and yet were able to get some good sunshile bcz like you said, we started early and were there around 10-11 am. We did not notice the Monterey farms, I'd love to go back to go pick fresh veggies at the farm! We also did not visit the Monterey aquarium which many people said is worth visiting!

Love
    Shal

4. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

very true

hi shal

we missed the bay aquarium last weekend as it was already late........but we wouldnt mind going there again........and this time we are planning to reach there by 11.00 :). so hope to cover the aquarium and as well as the farms.

cheers
    hopefloats

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Disneyland

Dear all

We are planning a trip to Disneyland,LA this September.

Somebody pls help me with :

1. Where best to stay.We are planning to book an apartment on rent so that we can cook our own food.If anybody has done something like this before,pls tell me what to expect and what I should carry with me.
    2. How many days would we need to see this place and surrounding areas?(we are thinking of 4-5 days)
    3. What are the places to see in and around Disneyland.

Awaiting your replies...

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Disneyland

Hi Sunitha,

Since you are going all the way to LA, i would suggest you combine your trip with San Diego also.
    In LA, other than Disney land, There is Universal Studios( am sure your son will get bored here though!) , Go to the Malibu Temple . Of course there are a few amusement parks like Knotts Berry farm and 6Flags. I would skip these though.

On the way to San diego , there is a small beach town called Carlsbad. Here there is legoland( www.legoland.com) . This is a must see for parents with kids. Your son will enjoy this place a lot. Everything is made of legos.

Go to San diego and visit Sea world and then san Diego zoo. All the places mentioned above are days visit each.

If you are flying i would suggest you fly to the Santa Ana airport , which is the closest to disney land. Southwest airlines should have some good deals if you book now.

Regarding places to stay, let me PM yu, as that is another long post.

Vandhana

7. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

My 2 cent on Disneyland

Vandana, welcome back home!

Sunitha, we went to Disneyland too, but like Vandhana said, there isn't much u could do for more than a day there. Anaheim doesn't seem to have any other attraction than the Disneyland and California Adventure parks. You could buy the park-hopper tickets and cover the two parks in two days, but I am sure if you wanna do that.

Malibu beaches are surely beautiful (or so they seem in the websites atleast). You may wanna try the scenic drive along Santa Monica beach. After doing Disneyland, Universal studios was almost like a repeat for us...I mean maybe a little different but almost the same kind of rides. But I surely enjoyed Universal studios more bcz we were all adults with no children around.

San Diego is surely a 'to-visit' place, for I've heard many good reviews about it.

Hope you have a great trip!

Love
    Shal

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thank you gals!

Thank you Vandhana and Shal..you both have been of real help.I can always count on Indusladies to help me with anything:clap

9. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

IMAX theater

hi gals

last weekend we had been to the IMAX Tech Museum at Downtown San Jose to see Superman......wow it an amazing experience.....would strongly recommend you girls to go there atleast once........the tickets were priced at $13.00.......after finishing the movie or before it starts take time to go around the museum with your kids......there are special programs too.......and during weekends there is free parking and the museum is also reachable via VTA.......it will be a totally new experience for your kids .......its a nice cool place to visit........outside the theater there is small park with water fountains raising from the ground.......where kids get wet and sun bathe and a enjoyable time for the elders around to see them.......a cool way to spend a hot summer weekend out :) .

cheers
    hopefloats

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

visit to Disneyland and San Diego

Dear friends,

Had been to LA and San diego last week.Truly enjoyed every moment of our vacation.

We drove down to LA (actually-Anaheim,Orange County) on 3rd Sep.It tookus about 8 hrs from Sacramento since we had a break for about 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs on the way.As per Vandhana's suggestion,we stayed in ExtendedStay America since it had rooms with attached kitchens.The kitchen had a stove,microwave,coffee maker,toaster,fridge and few pieces of cutlery.I had carried a few microwave safe dishes,some cutlery,dish washing liquid,scrubber with me and that helped a lot.Infact,I even carried Idli/dosa batter and a dosa pan with me!!:-D .All this really helped since we could cook our own food and not depend on burgers and pizzas all the time!

We covered the San diego Zoo the first day.It is about 90 miles from Anaheim.
    We spent the next 3 days at Disneyland and California Adventure park.Since we did not do many rides involving rollercoasters and water splashes,we were able to complete these 2 in 2 1/2 days.I feel that 3 days should be sufficient to do all the rides.Moreover,we took lunch breaks at our hotel since it was only 5 minutes away and there were shuttle buses(Anaheim Resort Transit ) travelling to and fro every 20 minutes.The tickets were $3 per person(children travel free) and it worked out cheaper than parking the car at disneyland where the parking fees is $ 10.Also,the $3 ticket is valid the whole day and one can travel to and fro any number of times in a day.
    We spent the last day at Legoland,and as Vandhana said,it sure is a must for kids.It is about 60 miles from Anaheim. My son really enjoyed every ride at this place.Legoland is open from 10 am to 5 pm only and we had to rush thru ' some rides since we arrived at 11 am.One day is sufficient for Legoland.

On our way back to Sacramento,we went to the Malibu temple.It took us about 1 hr and 15 minutes from Anaheim.This temple also is a must see .

Thanks to Vandhana and Shal,we sure had a great time .

1 person likes this.